Need some advice on Moonflowers

Jewels19

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
While at Home Depot tonight, I picked up a large trellis and pack of Moonflower seeds...I grow Morning Glories with no effort at all..I was curious tho' does anyone know if the plants "need" to be planted where the moon actually sits? Also, can I trim the vines w/o stopping the production of new flowers? Thanks:)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
These are very proliferant plants and they just need to be in a sunny place. You can trim them with no problems. They are very invasive and scatter seeds everywhere! If you don't want many moonflower plants, I would gather the pods before they break open and dispose of them...but not in your compost pile! :p

I don't know if you can actually train them to a trellis or not. Mine were more of a shrub-like formation....a large clump of thick vines.

Jewels19

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
These are very proliferant plants and they just need to be in a sunny place. You can trim them with no problems. They are very invasive and scatter seeds everywhere! If you don't want many moonflower plants, I would gather the pods before they break open and dispose of them...but not in your compost pile! :p

I don't know if you can actually train them to a trellis or not. Mine were more of a shrub-like formation....a large clump of thick vines.
Thanks for the advice:) Hmmm I hope they climb the trellis, it was costly! lol

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think they are going to climb like you want. I would use clematis or morning glory for that. Moon flowers vine a little, but it ends up more like a zucchini plant as far as shape.

Jewels19

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I don't think they are going to climb like you want. I would use clematis or morning glory for that. Moon flowers vine a little, but it ends up more like a zucchini plant as far as shape.
Thanks! Well darn, I planted the seeds last night...I guess I can move the trellis before they germinate. This is my first yr growing MG's they really take off! I have a bird-bath and a old stump covered in them..To bad the MF's don't vine as well:(

Latest posts