Need some strength

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think it is a problem to use outside if on a GFI outlet. If you don't have a GFI outlet there are extend cords with them. I picked one up at home depot for like $14

All of our outdoor outlets are GFI. These particular water bowls have been working reliably for at least two winters, but I have had a couple that petered out after one year. They only have a one year warranty, which is basically useless unless they die the first winter.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
upload_2018-12-13_10-30-16.png
$14 tractor supply can buy additional warranty

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't know that. :hide
I have two that are completely outdoors. One for the chickens, and one for the dogs and cats on the back patio. This is the third winter used (abused?) like that.
I used mine outdoors for a while. Then for some reason I decided to read the directions. My worry was that it may not be adequately grounded for the wet ground.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used the submersible like in Nyboys picture for several years, worked fine, no issues.
But this year the horses weren't drinking readily and pulling back like there was a discernible current in the water. Same setup as ever and it was very puzzling.
I could not feel anything, even with a wet hand on the ground and one in the tank.

I switched out the submersibles for the 15 gallon tubs with a dedicated heater but the horses still drew back unless it was unplugged so it was obviously an electric issue.
The chickens and dogs had no issues so it was getting very frustrating.

(We have working GFI's and heavy duty X cords that are long enough to not use more than one. Every plug connection is sealed and water tight,)

After a lot of reading I hit on a clue. Apparently horses are extremely sensitive to "stray" electricity, and I won't even attempt to repeat what I learned because without my husband as interpreter most of it sailed over my head.

Short story is we drove ground rods in at every waterer and submerged a copper grounding wire in each. Problem solved, the horses are happily drinking and I am greatly relieved.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Just says don't. Sort of defeats the purpose of even buying it, don't you think?
I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/Cord-Connect...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B0VBWCYDDE088GB29EC0
I have one that connects the extension cord to my heated hose plug (right next to the house), and another that connects the extension cord to my bird's heated water bowl a few feet away from the metal fence and nowhere near the coop.
They are simple, yet effective. You connect the cords inside of the inside cover, then screw the outside cover on top of it. ALL I am concerned about is moisture breaking the circuit.

Latest posts