Need some strength

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used the submersible like in Nyboys picture for several years, worked fine, no issues.
But this year the horses weren't drinking readily and pulling back like there was a discernible current in the water. Same setup as ever and it was very puzzling.
I could not feel anything, even with a wet hand on the ground and one in the tank.

I switched out the submersibles for the 15 gallon tubs with a dedicated heater but the horses still drew back unless it was unplugged so it was obviously an electric issue.
The chickens and dogs had no issues so it was getting very frustrating.

(We have working GFI's and heavy duty X cords that are long enough to not use more than one. Every plug connection is sealed and water tight,)

After a lot of reading I hit on a clue. Apparently horses are extremely sensitive to "stray" electricity, and I won't even attempt to repeat what I learned because without my husband as interpreter most of it sailed over my head.

Short story is we drove ground rods in at every waterer and submerged a copper grounding wire in each. Problem solved, the horses are happily drinking and I am greatly relieved.
I used that same heater on my hot tub when it died last winter and I did not have the time and money to get it fixed. I left it in the tub all summer without plugging it in. The I decided to take a look theresa's all sort of strange corrosion around it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The few days a year that the water freezes, I hit it with a hammer and/or pour boiling water in the container to open up the water. My husband keeps the water pots boiling on the stove, I carry buckets of boiling hot water to the animals, to mix with the ice water. Have to do it twice a day, thankfully it only lasts a week or so. The ice in the 300 gallon horse tank can get 2-3 inches thick.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The few days a year that the water freezes, I hit it with a hammer and/or pour boiling water in the container to open up the water. My husband keeps the water pots boiling on the stove, I carry buckets of boiling hot water to the animals, to mix with the ice water. Have to do it twice a day, thankfully it only lasts a week or so. The ice in the 300 gallon horse tank can get 2-3 inches thick.
I have a heater in mine. Breaking the ice is fine most days. I use the heater only a few days a winter.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have a small, plastic 30 gallon tank that I use in the winter when it is not TOO cold. When it gets super cold I use 2 rubber very large feeding bowls for water bc you can bang the ice out of those and not break them.
You need to know your animal. Chickens won't peck at the cord on a heated dog water bowl, but horses will chew on cords like puppies do. I have to watch when I use a hose to fill the big water tank bc my QH, Buster Brown will pull out the end of the hose and play with it, thus spilling the water out and around the tank. In the winter it takes FOREVER for that to dry out.
Similarly, I had to put dummies when the two geldings have their stalls bc they both broke light bulbs. I use an outdoor extension cord and a torch light plugged in while I clean at night to see, WHICH MUST BE REMOVED else you will electrocute your horse. NO AMOUNT of training will break them of this "play."
Therefore, I don't trust ANY water tank heater with my horses. You put in SO MUCH training, that to lose a horse to electrocution is banging your head and your wallet against the wall.
:he:he:he:he:he:he

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a small, plastic 30 gallon tank that I use in the winter when it is not TOO cold. When it gets super cold I use 2 rubber very large feeding bowls for water bc you can bang the ice out of those and not break them.
You need to know your animal. Chickens won't peck at the cord on a heated dog water bowl, but horses will chew on cords like puppies do. I have to watch when I use a hose to fill the big water tank bc my QH, Buster Brown will pull out the end of the hose and play with it, thus spilling the water out and around the tank. In the winter it takes FOREVER for that to dry out.
Similarly, I had to put dummies when the two geldings have their stalls bc they both broke light bulbs. I use an outdoor extension cord and a torch light plugged in while I clean at night to see, WHICH MUST BE REMOVED else you will electrocute your horse. NO AMOUNT of training will break them of this "play."
Therefore, I don't trust ANY water tank heater with my horses. You put in SO MUCH training, that to lose a horse to electrocution is banging your head and your wallet against the wall.
:he:he:he:he:he:he

What I learned 50 years ago when I first began with horses is that Murphy's Law prevails.

That's why you have to know your horses and use your brain. There are no cords within reach to my horses.
Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

Latest posts