Need Some Suggestions

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would like to find a lush climbing something-or-other that either does not flower or will not attract wasps/bees. It would need to be thornless.

Any suggestions?

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those are both beautiful. I wonder if I could combine them so when the Virginia creeper starts turning orange it would put on a spectacular display. How hard do you think it would be to keep them under control?

I have a new project I am working on but want to wait until it's well under-way or completed to show it.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Broke Down Ranch said:
Those are both beautiful. I wonder if I could combine them so when the Virginia creeper starts turning orange it would put on a spectacular display. How hard do you think it would be to keep them under control?

I have a new project I am working on but want to wait until it's well under-way or completed to show it.
Around here it grows about a foot a day, so I don't care for it. virgina Creeper that is.

Not sure how it would grow were you are at.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Count me among the english ivy haters. Okay I don't really hate it, but it can be very invasive sometimes. It will flower with enough sun and is a major bee/wasp attractor, although the scent and the constant buzz from all the insects is kind of nice.

So...what's this new project? You can tell me...I won't blab. :)

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hum....well, it needs to be something that the kids can be around without me having to worry about them getting stung...so if English ivy will attract bees then it won't work. I mean, a few buzzing now and then is OK as long as the wasps stay away. Red wasps are downright mean and have a wicked sting....

My new project is being made from something we pulled out of the wreckage of our old house.....

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love my Virginia Creeper, I can hack it and cut it and it is so resilient. I do adore the Fall display of Crimson Reds!

What I do know is that once it blooms the bees come from miles around! LOL :bee :bee :bee :bee

They are so thick with bees during the bloom that the bush Buzzz's to the point where it causes a hum in your chest from listening. It is an incredible experience to be in my chicken flight because it is nearly boxed in on top with a mix of Virginia Creeper and Honeysuckle. The bees cause the flight to 'lift with energy' and excitement!! :bee :bee :bee :bee

Then it is over, the flowers fade and the fruits begin.

I will capture the Fall Display this year, I promise, but it will be much later than the rest of you folks.

Ron :happy_flower

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about the bees and wasps. Generally when they are out "foraging" they aren't too worried about stinging you. Now watch me get stung today when I go out to pick butter beans. :lol: Usually they only sting protecting a nest or if you step on one, something like that.

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
bid said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the bees and wasps. Generally when they are out "foraging" they aren't too worried about stinging you. Now watch me get stung today when I go out to pick butter beans. :lol: Usually they only sting protecting a nest or if you step on one, something like that.
The bees I'm not worried about. They are too busy working to worry about me. But if you even WALK thru the "fly zone" of a red wasp that sucker will chase you down. I hate them things! LOL.

Well, I will have loads of other flowering stuff not close to the new project so perhaps the creeper would be OK. I was also looking at the Hartford Fern. Does anyone have experience with this?

Latest posts