Need Storage Bins

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
So for the longest time I've just dealt with soil mixing with 5gal buckets, rubbermaid bins and large buckets, depending on where I'm working (porch, yard, basement, ...) and I've hit my limit. I need to upgrade to something else, and want your opinions on what that will be.

Tools of the trade & things I need to store
View attachment 15186
Sprig... check out Craig's list for a cement mixer , through i
Right now I'm thinking of some stackable containers with lids, like these
Gamma -- seems like these could slide right off if enough weight isn't in them
Suncast ($13 at Fleet Farm) -- these seem perfect. Anyone have experience?

My basic desire is this:
  1. need bins to store base materials (stone, coir, sand, charcoal, ...)
  2. store complete soil types (arid, everyday, epiphyte, ...)
  3. ability to stack and access without moving them around. Un/Screwing a lid is fine
    1. This will make the real estate taken up by these in my garage and basement (winter gardening) much easier to work with

Anyone else have an alternative to those two brands above?
Sprig ... check out Craig's List for a used cement mixer, throw in ingrediants , turn on switch, watch it go round and round. When you are satisfied with the mix, deposit the mixed soil in used 5 gal. paint buckets,( you can get them free from painters) put on lid, stack to heart's desire . When empty, you can stack the empties one inside of the other. :)

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There, that's what I wanted.

IMAG1518.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG1518.jpg
    IMAG1518.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 242

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Growstones are a substrate for growing plants that can be used for soilless purposes or as a soil conditioner. This substrate is made from recycled glass. It has both more air and water retention space than perlite and peat. Another property of this medium is that it holds more water than parboiled rice hulls.[1][2] Growstones appear to be a comparable alternative to expanded clay aggregate. (Wikipedia)

Recycled glass!!!

There for a moment I thought I might have a valuable and extractable garden product literally at my feet! But no, I just have an ingredient commonly mixed with cement.

Sprig' , aren't you glad you came here first with your product questions before running off Pell Mell?

:) Steve
who thought Cat' must have meant motor scooter for rolling until mixed up

Latest posts