Need support for elimination diet

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I'm tired of feeling like crap most of the time and have decided I need to finally commit to figuring out what's bothering me. The docs have run every test known to man on me, and all they can come up with is that I have "ibs". Which actually means they have no idea what's wrong with me. Oh, and apparently I'm depressed, even tho I can't see how that's possible because as crappy as I feel, my attitude is usually pretty good. Which brings me back to my unhappy belly. What scares me about the elimination diet is, what if I find out something I love is making me sick? I hate the thought of *never* being able to eat something again. Has anyone done an elimination diet? Or had to adjust to life with a food sensitivity? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your troubles... My nephew and a dear friend both have discovered they are Celiac. So, I have had to adjust in cooking for them. My nephew is young, and it doesn't bother him much- but my friend was diagnosed as an adult. I think that is tougher, because you know what you like...and probably don't want to give it up! When my friend gave up gluten, he felt so much better- like a new person really- that even though he sometimes lusts for bread- he just wouldn't want to feel sick again. Hopefully, when you find out what is bothering your system, you will feel like a million bucks! When it comes to medical problems I am of the "I would rather know" school of thought. When you find out what is bothering you, you can choose to give it up. Not knowing will certainly not make you feel better! I strongly recommend pro-biotics to anyone having belly trouble. Good bacteria is so important in digestion. Good luck, fingers crossed that you figure out what is bothering you soon- and that you feel better fast!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I second lesa! There are so many products out there now for folks with celiac disorders, of course a little more expensive, but probably worth it when you really gotta have it. If you don't make your own fermented foods, I recommend that, too, in regard to lesa talking about probiotics. Good luck to you.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
curly, my daughter was diagnosed with ibs for years. They have just found out she is celiac. She now has to decide wheter eating the food is worth the pain. Sometimes she says yes other times no.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am currently on an elimination diet since I am nursing my 5-month-old and she began having bloody stools. I was able to find allergy info online recommending the top offenders for tummy trouble in babies. We were going to work our way down the list, one thing at a time, but the first thing we tried was the culprit for her--milk products. I also put her on probiotics which worked wonders and I wish I had thought of it much sooner. Being hospitalized, intubated and on TPN feedings didn't allow her gut to establish the good bacteria and I read that that can make a baby more susceptible to food allergies. Maybe they have a food list like that for IBS? Wheat gluten might be a first place to check.

I miss ice cream and a tall, cold glass of chocolate milk the most. I've been able to gradually add back butter and cheese (seems to be the whey causing the most trouble). But they have so many alternates now readily available in the grocery store. I've come to like almond milk a lot. Cutting out the offenders out was hard, but preferrable to a fussy, gassy baby crying in pain all the time. I'm sure once you find the cause and get a taste for the other things you can have instead, the joy of feeling better will be well worth it.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh honey, I know how you feel. I feel like crap all the time... uphill battle, then I feel find, then back down the tubes of ickiness. Doctor's gave me so much BLAH BLAH BLAH. When all was said and done, I really don't have an answer that makes sense. They basically just send you home and want to try a whole bunch of stuff hoping something works for you... then you get the bill! Hahaha

Anyways, I just eat well and try to get as much sun as I can each week. What more can a girl do?! Do what you are most comfortable with in the end.

I did have a friend with digestion issues causing weight gain, ect. Docs helped her a bit with her options, and she actually simply started taking a probiotic everyday and didn't change her diet at all. She's doing so much better and has lost 5 lbs in the last month with that simple change alone.

Best of luck to you!

:fl

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for all the support guys! I've tried probiotics and it didn't make a lick of difference. And you're right I'm sure about not missing something when I see how bad it makes me feel. My dad is allergic to shellfish, and I felt sorry for him until he pointed out it's hard to miss something that almost kills you! The really hard part is going to be parties and going out to eat. :/

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
For anyone feeling like crap all the time an easy place to start is with vitamin D drops. I am outside all of the time but still tested low in Vit D. It prevents a myriad of diseases ie. cancer and many other terrible things. My Dr. tested me and firmly believes in it use. I always feel I'd rather take a vitamin than a drug. Vitamins are one of those things that can't hurt to try it. Of course within reason.If I go for a while forgetting to take it I get very tired. I also avoid milk products and use rice milk. That has been a great help to me. A friend of mine with serious asthma and allergies did the elimination diet and lost 50 lbs. She had that bloated kind of extra weight. Her health improved dramatically although not completely.
curly_kate said:
So I'm tired of feeling like crap most of the time and have decided I need to finally commit to figuring out what's bothering me. The docs have run every test known to man on me, and all they can come up with is that I have "ibs". Which actually means they have no idea what's wrong with me. Oh, and apparently I'm depressed, even tho I can't see how that's possible because as crappy as I feel, my attitude is usually pretty good. Which brings me back to my unhappy belly. What scares me about the elimination diet is, what if I find out something I love is making me sick? I hate the thought of *never* being able to eat something again. Has anyone done an elimination diet? Or had to adjust to life with a food sensitivity? Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I've decided Sunday is the day to start. I was going to wait until I had several weeks without parties, trips, etc, but who knows when that will happen! I planned out a whole week of menus with snacks, and it doesn't look too bad. I think planning is going to be the key to success. But for the weekend I'm getting my fill. Going out to my favorite pizza place for dinner tonight, and I'm thinking I might have a gyro or coneys on Saturday. Gotta live it up while I can! :D

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another thing to look at is Are you taking any medications? The side effects of many meds will make you feel terrible. I would not suggest stopping any life saving meds. But, you may under a doctors care stop one at a time and see if you have any symptom relief. I react negatively to many meds and try to take nothing but supplements. Some supplements can also make you feel bad. The biggest food allergens are corn, wheat, and milk. Many be stop just one of those at a time to see if there's any relief. Start writing down everything that you put in your mouth and see if there is a pattern to how you feel.

Latest posts