Need to replace a tree... recommendations?

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Well... the storm through NJ last night tipped a tree (some kind of cherry?) we planted about 19 years ago and really love.

It's on the west side of our deck (seen here) and provided not only privacy but also great canopy shade on our deck, into our kitchen, and into our dining room. (Plan is here, it's # 20).

The storm didn't knock it over, but it's tilting 5-10 degrees. We don't think we can "save" it. If it had fallen, it would have likely done damage to our deck, pergola, and house... :(

Assuming we have to replace it... and can't put the same large beautiful tree back in :) we'd like recommendations. Perhaps put the same thing in (again.. not sure what it is) but don't want to have to wait 19 years for some of the same perks!

Any suggestions appreciated.

thanks,
Andrew

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If not dead, I bet tree company can right it. If not, dig it out and replant.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
If it's only tilting 5 to 10 degrees off perpendicular, then, as @seedcorn suggested, call a tree company or horticulturist and see if it can be saved. It might recover with no problems. Good luck with it; I know I get attached to trees in my yard so it would really make me sad to have one blow over or get destroyed in a storm.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After having to remove two oaks and a maple that were threatening buildings I hesitate to plant tall trees close to the house. Oaks are strong trees and these were mature but close together and leaning badly over the roof. I hated to lose the shade, but better than losing my porch and kitchen.

That being said, all the rage around here is the Japanese Tree Lilac. I'm not sure how fast they grow but they are beautiful! You may want to smell their blooms first though, some people find it nice and sweet, others call it nasty. My daughter has a gorgeous mature JTL and Dh says it stinks, smells like pee. :hu

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

It's not tipping that much, and is certainly top-heavy with some large branches. I am hoping it can be uprighted and then have the heavy branches removed.

Latest posts