Never had Roses Before!!

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
fcc807dd.jpg

7cd7f536.jpg

d74ba280.jpg

Does it look like a wild type? Is it salvageable? Should I go ahead and cut off the brown twig-like things that have no leaves or buds?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, it is definitely worth saving! I call that an old fashioned rose. You can trim off anything that looks like a dead stick- that won't come back. A little fertilizer probably wouldn't hurt it... It is a lovely color! Enjoy!

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Gonna try to fertilize it every 2 weeks along with my vegetables. I use liquid Miracle Gro. It's got a new topping off of potting soil. Thank you! It was kind of sad being strangled by the weeds. I will prune off the stick stuff tomorrow!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Not wild; probably a shrub rose variety, could be older or not, who knows.

DEFINITELY hardy to still be doing relatively well there on its own.

DEFINITELY worth saving/tending! :)

Prune off the dead parts. Weed around it, including hand-pulling grass if possible (important not to damage the rose's feeder roots though so don't be getting too violent, no shovels or tillers or massive soil disturbance!)

Mulch around the rose (and then continue weeding all summer)

I would suggest compost, mulch and watering-during-droughts INSTEAD OF Miracle Gro -- they'll do it more good in the long run and you don't want to encourage fast sappy weak shoots.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

rodriguezpoultry

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think it was...I only touched it with my fingers and the ring finger on my left hand had poison ivy....

Latest posts