Never Too Early to Plan, Tomatoes!

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, Steve, I do not think ... I do. I know that first I had to think. but I came to the discounted sale of seeds and all the clever ideas flew out of my head. Now I am the owner of a large seed box ... Among them there are several types of tomatoes to the north.
IMG_2744.JPG

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Larisa

One of those I'm thinking about is said to be from "an old seedman in Moscow."

Plum Lemon (link) Since, I am hoping it doesn't taste like a lemon (with it's "mild sweet flavor. Perfect tomato for salads ...") I would use the alternative name: Wonderlight

Tomatofest has a lot of varieties from Russia :). Names may be lost in translation, however.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomatofest inspires me.

Fruit Punch, pink cherry: "Super fruity sweet. Surprisingly crack resistant, even in heavy rains, considering the delicate thin skin. This tomato will give you pleasure." LINK

I grew Rose Quartz several years ago. Cracks! Splits! Pretty good flavor but you couldn't get the ripe fruit wet!

Steve

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, Steve, I do not think ... I do. I know that first I had to think. but I came to the discounted sale of seeds and all the clever ideas flew out of my head. Now I am the owner of a large seed box ... Among them there are several types of tomatoes to the north.
View attachment 15929
I'm quite envious you have some wonderful vegetables available in your part of the world.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do not write the name of tomatoes, probably Steve rights, names do not match. Therefore characteristics. This year in the greenhouse appeared phytophthora. So I'll handle the greenhouse, and in 2017, I will not put there plants that can get ill. So I chose sort for the streets. At the beginning of the season I will make the arc and will hide them with a special material.
So this is sort of early ripening (80-85 days from sowing), disease-resistant, cold, determinate. I will sow them in the third week of February and I will be their illuminate
lamp for plants. I also bought a cure from Phytophthora.
Plum Lemon - citrine here.:)
I'm quite envious you have some wonderful vegetables available in your part of the world.
Yes many. But you also have a lot of different seeds, I think. Here you can buy seed breeding different countries. But I like our northern or Siberian line. Because it deals with scientific association. They make the selection, testing. They publish magazines, where they show their work results. It is hybrids F1 and not hybrids . We grow Watermelon north. There is a line "Seeds from the author," I really like. Some gardeners plant squash, and then make inoculation watermelon or cantaloupe. Very successful!
Tomatoes of all colors, from white to black, different shapes, different sizes and striped tomatoes.:)

Reactions: Hal

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Chickie'sMomaInNH , I had to think awhile about Fox cherry. I believe you are remembering that I am happy to have Coyote cherry tomatoes as volunteers.

There is a Fox cherry, I googled the name but I've not grown it.

The very, very late started Coyote have been independent little champions! DW pointed out one of the two plants yesterday and commented that it now has more than one or two ripe cherries. (The Gary O Sena had a beautiful beefsteak!)

Steve

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Larisa I wish I had access to half of what people in the USA did.
@digitS' I'm growing Amish Paste as a cash crop as always and trying Palmwoods and Russian 117 for the first time this year as I am fond of paste and oxhearts.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I have a few tomato seeds still in packets that I didn't get to plant this year. I've had to be very conscious of not overdoing it since I'm spread so thin right now. I bought seeds prior to my dad's illness. In the freezer they will keep awhile. Next year will be better! I'm counting on it. I'm happy with what I did get planted though, not too many; not nearly as many as I usually put out, but manageable. Ava did good. :) So, short of digging out the seed packets which are in the basement and I am too lazy to go run and fetch at the moment...off the top of my head, I do have two new ones I got through Seed Savers Exchange that are native to West Virginia, Mamie Brown's Pink (a big beefsteak) and Federle (a long paste type).