New buddy

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was time to get another dog. Our old guy is 11 now and I like to overlap so the well behaved older ones can be a good example and help train the upstarts. Poor old Gator has been alone for the last 2 years since his buddy Mosley the JRT tried to take on the coyotes.

Not that he minded being the sole recipient of all our attention necessarily.

So I started looking. At first I hoped to get a large dog, we haven't had a big dog for about 6 years I guess. I like em big!

....but cutting to the chase....

I found the perfect dog ( I hoped ) online one day. She was being rehomed because she wasn't pulling her weight on the farm.
See, cattle dogs are expected to herd cows, not snuggle up with them at nap time. :rolleyes:

She's a year old and a good fit since I can't think of a single animal here that's pulling it's weight. Just ask the chickens.

But she's a little doll! She's smart and very obedient and so funny. She has quite the personality. And Gators happy. :)

So here's our Wren:

On a snowshoe hike.

January13013.jpg

January13016.jpg

Snuggled up with Gator.

december2012moose002_zpse0baae78.jpg

But obviously she's not a big dog!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awwwwwww, congratulations!!! She is adorable...looks like those two are fast friends!!

I would like to get another dog...we're down to one now, had 4 only 2 years ago...but 3 of them were old and passed on. So we will be searching once we figure out what we'll be doing when i graduate from school in May. Hope to find a cute little treasure like your Wren!!

P.S. your Gator is a handsome guy, I especially love his semi-erect ears - cant give the young pup all the attention and neglect the elders!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awwww....... lucky you!! And lucky Wren to find such a good home where she will be loved and cherished! Lucky Gator to have such a beautiful new lady friend! She is so pretty! Heelers are smart dogs, smarter than most people. :lol: She is awesome! :love

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
congratulations! she's very pretty. i have a corgi that doesn't really pull his weight on my 'farm', but i still love him none the less! (except when i have to leave for work or run out without taking him with me-separation anxiety issue :/ )

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
What breed of dog is she? She looks a bit like a red heeler or a red heler mix.
Love, Smart Red
She's a heeler ( Australian cattle dog ). But tiny, she only weighs about 15 pounds. I think when they told her she was a cattle dog she heard CAT dog, because she doesn't have a problem herding them! I have 3 mad cats who are getting really fast at climbing trees.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wren is positively beautiful as is her name! Looks like she made friends quickly. Lucky Wren to find such a great forever home. ;)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
She's a girl, and doesn't need to be big. Look at that heart she has! I can tell her heart is huge, like Gator's!

Besides, being only 15 pounds, that's not as much weight to pull!!!

I've emailed the mad scientist at the lab, and told them to hurry up and make it so dogs and cats live as long as people! They emailed back saying it's only a few more genes away. First is making better and slightly bigger kidneys...something about calcium channels and a bunch of big latin words...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
She looks very smart and loving. Congratulations on your new addition. I am "working on" my DH about getting a dog. I think we need one. Unfortunately, we don't have any kids living here right now, to help me do the cajoling.

Latest posts