New Christmas Traditions

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
The one time I found myself totally alone on Thanksgiving, I went and volunteered at the Salvation Army Thanksgiving dinner. Was certainly better than sitting at home alone, but not really the most heartwarming experience I've ever had, either.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I miss the tradition of all fish for Christmas eve diner. Every Christmas eve my mother would make a 7 course fish diner, I believe it had something to do with not eatting any animal that was at the birth.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I've been alone for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, So Lucky.

It wasn't so "uplifting" of an experience. We have had deaths at this time of year, also. My son-in-law's mother died just a few days after Thanksgiving this year. That holiday seemed to have more meaning for me after my grandmother died on a Thanksgiving morning and we went for a few years with Mom, unable to celebrate.

A few years ago, I would look around and just could hardly believe that those at the table were still here over many years. Of course, some are not still here now.

Maybe, I will celebrate New Years Day on Christmas this year and open presents on Thanksgiving, 2013.

Def Stef

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used to celebrate Christmas morning by opening gifts and having a buffet breakfast. Since my daughter has to work Christmas eve. and sleep Christmas morning, we changed it to opening gifts at noon and having a late lunch. This actually works much better for me since I have the morning to prepare. I'm not one for starting new traditions. I prefer the old ones, I still make tamales and my shortbread cookies this time of year.

Mary

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also miss mult colored xmas lights. When I was a kid thats what eveyone put up. last night I had diner with 3 friends, after we went for a drive to look at houses with lights. Almost every house had white lights, or this seasons light blue. I think after 1 1/2 hours driving we saw 3 houses with mult colored.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I used to put up outdoor lights. It wasn't any problem getting out there in mid-December and running strings of lights along the eves, around windows, around the front door . . . then, January came.

Especially after they are torn up by weathering and storms - I think it would be terribly embarrassing to do like I see on every street, to leave them up, year around. I noticed some kind of Halloween gargoyle in a front yard, yesterday.

I am hoping that my paper snowflakes are still around in the basement. Whether or not, I'm going to use multicolored paper to replace some of them. I just discovered that I had an unopen package of that paper on a seldom-used file cabinet! Let's see . . . what would be a good color for snowflakes? Lavender? Hot pink? Blue, of course . . .

def Stef

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fish for Christmas? Tamales? Lots of traditions I don't know about. Diversity is good! Nyboy, the colored lights are back. I bought the little mini lights in multi-colors this year for the tree. Darn cheap lights. Part of one strand is already out. I wasn't ready to put out the "big bucks" for the LED lights yet this year, so opted for the old kind for a year or two more, but at this rate, by Christmas morning, there won't be a light left burning! Christmas in the dark. There's a new tradition for you.:/

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've been thinking about getting some lights for the outside of my coop. they already have the whites on the inside to help them get extra light to lay so why not decorate the outside too, but with the multi colors instead! :p

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Italian catholic christmas eve is " La Vigilia or feast of 7 fishes" It can be any type of fish as long as there are 7. My sisters who do the holidays now that my mom is gone are not big fish eaters. Their husbands are not Italian. So fish is no longer on Christmas eve menu.I do miss it.

Latest posts