New Christmas Traditions

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What about making something? I know a number of families that have baking parties and one that even makes candy on Christmas Eve to be enjoyed on Christmas Day.

As far as New Years goes I'm NOT a fan. I've run on some of the worst calls in my career on that day. Id rather stay home, hunkered down and keeping the family close and safe. Would rather pull out the board games or a book than be out partying. Same with the Wednesday before Thanksgiving aka the BIGGEST bar night of the year because 99% of the population has Thanksgiving off and nobody has to get up early (so they can sleep off a hangover) so they have NOOOO problem getting absolutely obliterated drunk and then trying to get home in the wee hours of Thanksgiving morning.

The one tradition that I love is my wife makes baked french toast that is absolutely amazing. This is a tradition for Christmas morning that we started a few years back and I look forward to every Christmas morning. We always go to the bakery and get some really good bread like an apple cinnamon, or something special like that instead of the french bread. Works just fine too. We tried it ahead of time and as soon as we had our first bites we knew what we'd be having. We also pull out the homemade maple syrup that my sister in laws husband and his family make. Doesn't get any better than that as far as breakfast goes.

Its actually really nice to get up, turn the oven on and pop it in and have a hot delicious breakfast that is ZERO any hassle on Christmas morning. Growing up my mom always did the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls because they were easy but the baked french toast is even easier and WAAAY better. We all know its not a healthy recipe but its a one time a year kind of recipe. ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not much of a drinker altho' Heaven Knows . . . I purposefully (usually) go to bed near the regular time on New Years Eve. I know it was latter than Y2K, the last time I was up at 12 . . . must have been a reason but I can't think of what it was . . .

Breakfast traditions? Omelets for New Years brunch became a tradition until Dad asked, "how did I get roped into this?" Then, DW & I took it on about 10 years ago. It seems to work well and be appreciated. (Maybe Dad was going thru then what I'm going thru now . . . ya think?) We won't give up that tradition -- I'm really a breakfast person.

Maybe a tradition for Christmas breakfast would be a good idea. Egg rolls? Or . . . I can make what is essentially a bulk sausage with something similar to egg roll filling and cook the links under the broiler. It is a way to limit the amount of oil and fat.

:) Steve :)

Mickey328

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have to agree, Steve...a good breakfast or brunch is awesome! I'm usually not up for eating right at first but after two or three hours, bring it on! When we have company I like to make a sort of buffet...I make a sausage egg and cheese casserole that's easy in the extreme and easily reheated for latecomers. I try to put out some fresh fruit and juice and of course, a gallon or two of coffee. That way everyone can partake when and as they like.

If you're interested, the casserole: 12 eggs, 1 lb sausage, 1 cup shredded cheddar. Crumble, brown and drain the sausage, mix the eggs, toss everything in a greased casserole dish and bake at 325 for about an hour or till the eggs are done. Easier than pie ;)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
After reading this thread I wanted multi colored lights on the house. I went to store for lights picked up a few bottles of spiced wine ( you drink it hot) and had some friends come over. We had a great time; even with the wine no one fell off the ladders. Everyone agreed we should do this every year. So now I have a new Christmas Tradition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, Nyboy!

Have 'em back to take the lights down in January, too! It's cold but the spiced wine will help with that . . . and the snow in the front yard should cushion any fall.

I'm glad you had a good time :) !

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Maybe a tradition for Christmas breakfast would be a good idea. Egg rolls? Or . . . I can make what is essentially a bulk sausage with something similar to egg roll filling and cook the links under the broiler. It is a way to limit the amount of oil and fat.

:) Steve :)
Sausage and egg? We brown sausage in an iron skillet, scramble eggs in it, and roll it up in a flour tortilla. Top with salsa before rolling it up.....mmmmmmm......good!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dad grew up in Las Cruces, New Mexico. His family made the simplest enchiladas (or, what they called enchiladas ;))

It was just corn tortillas heated in a cast iron skillet covered with chopped sweet onion, cheddar cheese and hot tomato sauce. You'd go as high as you wanted with a stack of these, then put a fried egg on the very top :p!

The "enchiladas" were served like a stack of pancakes with Tabasco sauce. I know that DW was less than impressed so the kids must not have had much experience with them growing up but . . . How about that?!

Steve

Latest posts