New Clearance Acquisitions from Lowes

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beefy is a sucker for a clearance rack! went to get potting soil, came home with a 2 dollar phaelanopsis orchid, $1 hot pink geranium, $1 red/orange/yellow lantana, $1 red new wave petunia.

they had some $21.98 orchids on clearance for 75% off too, i started to get on of those. i could make room for more new wave petunias too.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
all the ones i got were on the "not pretty at this time" rack. however, in full sun, the orchids will have to be demoted from the not pretty rack to the half dead rack shortly. all they had on the half dead rack were a really ugly color of snapdragons. they were like an even uglier color than maroon.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
maroon is gross. but this color was grodier, believe me.

i know hopefully my orchid didnt get too scorched. and all the plants kept getting blown over and nobody seemed to care.

Nifty

Garden Addicted
Administrator
Reaction score
I keep hearing stories of killer deals at these box stores. A few people (in totally different counties) have told em on separate occasions that they went and came back with 25 gallon trees for like $5 each or something crazy like that.

I'm never at the right place at the right time!

Lunachick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
They always tell you not to buy the stuff that's half dead etc. but I always feel sorry for them, and I buy them, take them home and try my best to nurse them back to health somewhat. If the price is right and you have a little patience, and the poor plant is saying "help me" I have it in my shopping cart. :)

ozark hen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We bought two blooming crab apple trees and one half dead weeping willow from Wally World a few years back for dirt cheap AND the first week of July!!! Weeping willow is gorgeous and we were able to save one crab apple which is just beginning to bud out now.
They have grown so fast and are beautiful. I think this is where "ignorance is bliss" comes in for we planted at the so called wrong time of year.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love the half dead racks. It all comes down to if it is cheap enough you can take the risk to try to bring it back. And usually with alittle time and love you can. We bought a mess of fruit trees a few years back at of all places big lots $12 each for 5fts. Then bought some $45 ones at a nursery. The cheap ones lived, the 2 exspensive ones didn't. Who would have guessed :rolleyes:

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I may just have to try the big box stores and see what they have. Not sure they have anything up here in Northern Maine, just yet, but if I get there ( a 50 mile drive one way), I might give a few trees a try later in the season ( since there is no planting here yet- unless it's a shovel into the snow!)