New Clothesline

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
HARD to know where to post this. I'm redoing my clothesline. I already have 200 feet of plastic-covered line, and I'm shortening the 50 foot distance between posts by about 1 1/2 feet so I can run the length through eye bolts without cutting, and this will give me 4 lines. (I once had a 4-line clothesline and I loved it.) I was going to get fence posts and attach 2 x 4's BUT I saw Broke Down Ranch's post on drying peppers with maybe a better design. I intend to use 3 fence posts. Anybody got any suggestions? I can wait because, just like other areas on my 5 acres of "use-to be farm" somebody decided to cement the current, ROTTING OUT, wooden posts in the ground, so I'll have to dig them up before I can put the new one in. :barnie

Thanks, ahead of time for your ideas. :love

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DH is a welder and has his own very small welder so he was able to make mine out of pipe. I will get pics so you can get an idea how he made it. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics, injunjoe--got some good ideas for that. I think that I can start/finish this project next weekend--Oct 10th is a game day, so it's out, but the 17th-18th should be warm enough to paint the poles. (We are also training our 3 yr old colt, so I gotta spend the time with him, too, ya know!)

My clothesline has been on the fritz now, for about a year--I REALLY miss it, so it'll be great to have it in operation for the winter--yes, I hang on stuff to air, then, too. :D

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
somebody decided to cement the current, ROTTING OUT, wooden posts in the ground, so I'll have to dig them up before I can put the new one in. :barn
What if you cut that one off flush, put the new post right next to that one. When you do the cement work just form around the whole thing and make a mini slab. A place you could set your basket on!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for writing about the cement, but, honestly, I think that the owner who put in the fencing some 50 years ago had STOCK in a cement operation! EVERY CORNER post was set in DEEP cement, and with a zigzag of fencing, there are quite a few. I did cement in my 2 x 4's for the canoe rack I built 3 years ago, but I only dug 10 in. x 5 in. holes, so none of the 4 will be hard to remove in the future. When we had new horse fencing put in almost 2 years ago, the company didn't cement in ANY of the 8 in. diameter poles, so I can easily replace any if they are ever damaged. In fact, when I get the pics, I'll post yesterdays cement digging-out-experience--HUGE slab with a 6 in. piece of sharp metal sticking out and threatening to injure my horses!

A N Y W A Y, I really like the link you sent. :hugs There are good pics and plans that'll help me build my new one ONCE, then enjoy.

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I remember hearing myself say many years ago: "If there is no dryer, there is a divorce!" LOL

Seriously, life without a dryer! I really should get over it. The dryer beats your clothes to death. I find clothing begins to thin and eventually wear through fast by way of the dryer.

Yet, I have not hung a clothe out in 100 years. I think I was in my twenties! All I remember is how stiff everything was. My jeans could stand and walk! LOL :ep

I should rethink and consider myself on this one!

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
I remember hearing myself say many years ago: "If there is no dryer, there is a divorce!" LOL

Seriously, life without a dryer! I really should get over it. The dryer beats your clothes to death. I find clothing begins to thin and eventually wear through fast by way of the dryer.

Yet, I have not hung a clothe out in 100 years. I think I was in my twenties! All I remember is how stiff everything was. My jeans could stand and walk! LOL :ep

I should rethink and consider myself on this one!

Ron
Downy does wonders! Now, I'm not saying they will be "snuggly" soft but they will not be as stiff as you probably remember ;)

The only time I wish I had a dryer (we still have not replaced ours since the fire) is when we are having rainy weather..... :/

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do remember how much nicer and cleaner the sheets felt after a clothesline dry!

So you mean downy in the wash? I have never used downey before; is this as economical as a dryer sheet? I am a dryer sheet kind-of guy! Plus they are good to have in your pocket during a mosquito-fest!

ummmm...where oh where can a clothesline go, and how can I make it look like part of the garden? Maybe a statue LOL with lots of arms.

Or have this installed in the bedroom headed out the window! Then I won't have to go far from the washer!
p1010615.jpg

Now this looks like a good option for me! A retractable line! Very sleek and can look right in a garden setting!
RetractAway%2040%20in%20Doeskin%20Satin.jpg

Here is one like that one above...for only $38
http://www.urbanclotheslines.com/product/Retractable-5-Line-Mini-Dryer

ummm...this could pay for itself by not using the dryer!

Ron

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You could save a bundle!
Look at your electric bill and see how much per Kilowatthour
My dryer draws 23 Amps. at 240 VAC= 5,060 watts.
We pay about $0.16 per KH. So every hour it is used it cost me $1.62
it sure adds up fast! The coffee maker is another big user not to mention all the hair tools!

I want to get Eby to hang first to dry then put into Dryer to soften and remove pet hair!
I need to come up with some kind of auto clothes hanging system for her.

Joe
gears3.gif