New Coop and April snow!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
this morning we got an inch of snow. I remember many Easters with plenty of snow in the city park. Hello spring! :)

image.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really do like your coop! I am trying to get volunteers to put a porch and a roof over the people door in front so I can get in and out without getting rained or snowed on.

Miss Daisy, how big is your coop? Mine still doesn't have an outside run for them. They either free-range or stay in.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is one of the prettiest pictures I have ever seen. It almost has a Thomas Kinkade look to it. Just beautiful!

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The girls aren't moved in yet. There's still one section of wire that needs to be put in place, and two more bags of concrete to be added to one section of the the trench at the base of the yard. Then the yard will need a couple perches and then the steps finished. Right now I just have some concrete blocks as my steps in the yard. Fine for now, but not permanent. I need to do the entire inside yet, trim the windows, and will eventually will be adding another yard off of the left side of the coop. The building is 8x12 and the porch is 2x12. The little covered yard out back is 6x12. The yard I will be adding to the side will be 7x20-25ish. And maybe next summer I will get a little garden added to the right side of the coop. I'd like to plant some fruit trees out there as well... :)

I'd like to let the girls free range but I am having to deal with neighbors dogs. Saturday they treed one of my cats. Grrrr... So, until we get our area fenced, the girls are not going to be able to free range. :(

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Work left to do or not, that is one fine chicken coop. So far (fingers crossed tightly) we have never had a problem with chickens running free. The neighbors' dog(s) must have been over while the chickens were abed, because we've never seen them close to the house or buildings. (They just used our land as a bathroom area.)

All the other varmints haven't been around when the chickens were out, or our dog kept them away. It's been five years with no incident. I'm sure that's mostly luck.

I will be building/helping build a second coop soon. It will be a movable coop near the neighbors' so I will need to get a goodly-sized safe run for the birds. They won't be free-ranging much until the suit is settled (May 28) and the boundary fence is constructed.

Latest posts