New Coop and April snow!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Work left to do or not, that is one fine chicken coop. So far (fingers crossed tightly) we have never had a problem with chickens running free. The neighbors' dog(s) must have been over while the chickens were abed, because we've never seen them close to the house or buildings. (They just used our land as a bathroom area.)

All the other varmints haven't been around when the chickens were out, or our dog kept them away. It's been five years with no incident. I'm sure that's mostly luck.

I will be building/helping build a second coop soon. It will be a movable coop near the neighbors' so I will need to get a goodly-sized safe run for the birds. They won't be free-ranging much until the suit is settled (May 28) and the boundary fence is constructed.
Oh, Red I forgot about you neighbor troubles. So, Are you suing or being sued? So the neighbors want to put aside the survey? What lawyer told them that was a winnable suit? SO sorry. Hope you are not too upset.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, Red I forgot about you neighbor troubles. So, Are you suing or being sued? So the neighbors want to put aside the survey? What lawyer told them that was a winnable suit?
Still in law suit mode. All will be finished either by May 28th or on May 28th at court. The neighbors are suing us, and their attorney said they had a good chance to win, but were using faulty information as the basis of their suit. We have live here for 40 years and have the correct information. Already their attorney has suggested paying us for the land in dispute. Evidence to me that their attorney is less than certain after hearing our side. Of course, the amount he suggested first to our attorney would have been insulting, and our attorney did suggest something more in line with current land prices.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday had a pair of wild ducks stop by and use my pond. Hoping they stay, love work-free animals.

How lucky, Nyboy! I would love to have a couple of mated ducks to watch, but my neighbor with the pond chases them away. Ducks are not quite as messy as Canada Geese can be.

I've been seeing quite a few sandhill cranes and a heron or two. They stop here for forage before moving further north.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still in law suit mode. All will be finished either by May 28th or on May 28th at court. The neighbors are suing us, and their attorney said they had a good chance to win, but were using faulty information as the basis of their suit. We have live here for 40 years and have the correct information. Already their attorney has suggested paying us for the land in dispute. Evidence to me that their attorney is less than certain after hearing our side. Of course, the amount he suggested first to our attorney would have been insulting, and our attorney did suggest something more in line with current land prices.
Would you consider the sale at a good price? Can you recoup legal costs if you prevail due to nuisance case?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really don't know. I'm more hung up on all the mistaken statements in the suit. I realize that the neighbors 'thought' they were correct at the start so I hesitate to call them liars, but now that they know better, I don't want all that misinformation about myself and spouse being lawbreakers in the public record. I really want an apology. Then I would consider selling the half acre (15 feet) to them.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really don't know. I'm more hung up on all the mistaken statements in the suit. I realize that the neighbors 'thought' they were correct at the start so I hesitate to call them liars, but now that they know better, I don't want all that misinformation about myself and spouse being lawbreakers in the public record. I really want an apology. Then I would consider selling the half acre (15 feet) to them.
All this over 15 feet? Half acre or not. This is an instance where common sense did not prevail on their part. Waste of time energy money and mental health. Good luck I will say a prayer.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The 15 feet means they don't own the whole shed -- the line goes down the middle of it. The 15 feet means our boundary is about 20 feet from their back door. Until we got around to clearing that area out, they could not see our house from their yard as we built some 100 feet or more from our boundary line. Now there is a small bit of back lawn (20 feet) and 15 feet of uncleared woodland growth before they get to our property. Not what they thought. What they thought should not be my problem, that 15 feet is ours.

Instead of asking their seller, they imagined where they would like the lines to go and decided that they owned all that they imagined. Now we have a reality check and they are angry we didn't tell them where the boundary was before they bought the land. They never asked. We had no idea that they were coveting our land and calling it theirs.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The 15 feet means they don't own the whole shed -- the line goes down the middle of it. The 15 feet means our boundary is about 20 feet from their back door. Until we got around to clearing that area out, they could not see our house from their yard as we built some 100 feet or more from our boundary line. Now there is a small bit of back lawn (20 feet) and 15 feet of uncleared woodland growth before they get to our property. Not what they thought. What they thought should not be my problem, that 15 feet is ours.

Instead of asking their seller, they imagined where they would like the lines to go and decided that they owned all that they imagined. Now we have a reality check and they are angry we didn't tell them where the boundary was before they bought the land. They never asked. We had no idea that they were coveting our land and calling it theirs.
Oh yea that was YOUR fault you didn't tell them. People.

Latest posts