New guy from Md

Grizzlyhackle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Gotta a little garden on the eastern shore of Maryland. Like growing what I can eat and help feed my rabbits, butterflies and wild bees. Especially like growing potatoes cuz there like digging for gold. Never know what you'll get. Happy with little ones, amazed at the bigger ones. Zinnias cuz they're easy and draw goldfinches. Pole limas and pole snap beans cuz they're easier on my back. Getting older is fun ain't it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Grizzlyhackle! Getting old is just a mindset! Ha! You seem to like to grow what I like to grow too.

I too like to grow pollinator plants to attract those bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. Zinnias I love because they bloom for months. Tomatoes are going where my zinnias were so I'm going to have to find a new place for them. Will be very hard in this small packed city yard.

I grow potatoes in 3 large nursery pots for my preschoolers to harvest. They love looking for that treasure.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Louisiana, glad you found us.

I understand about getting older, but as long as I can get out and do it sure beats the alternative.

I like zinnias and marigolds. I think zinnias add nice color. I use marigolds in the garden to separate different varieties or maybe planting dates, I grow corn in a half a dozen different plantings and stick a marigold between each. in the fall when the garden is done I get huge mounds of bright color, at least until frost. I often stick zinnias at the end of a row just because I think they are pretty.

Don't be shy, jump in wherever you feel like and once again :frow

Grizzlyhackle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks. Once I get this quote thing figured out.... Old age, best saying I ever heard was from a friend's Granny ," son old age ain't for sissy's".
Garden keeps me home nights. Lot of therapy working a hoe through my sandy ground. It's like a whole little world in my garden. All the insects good and bad. The Cardinals that peck my tomatoes, voles living under my potatoes, garter snakes,crazy looking bees and wasps. Hummingbirds around the pole limas. Springtime and the red clover and hairy vetch bloom. Realized it had been a long time since I had seen honeybees and there I was surrounded by them and not one sting. I've learned to work slow and the wasps just move over. But I still don't trust a hornet and squirrels are welcome at your house not mine. 🤣

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from east Texas. We retired to 8 acres and I finally have a big garden, sometimes it is too big and sometimes it's not big enough. We have white sugar sand for soil, it has been a lot of work to build the soil, but it's finally working.

Nothing better than working in the garden and eating the good food from it. Glad to have you here!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:welcome from Central IL. You came to the right garden forum, bc we all DON'T KNOW IT ALL!! :lol:
Please put your State, at least, in your profile. We will quickly forgot where you live and answer your questions as if you were Our next door neighbor.

Grizzlyhackle

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:welcome from Central IL. You came to the right garden forum, bc we all DON'T KNOW IT ALL!! :lol:
Please put your State, at least, in your profile. We will quickly forgot where you live and answer your questions as if you were Our next door neighbor.
You'll have to help me update my profile. I actually went to work with 2 different color shoes earlier this year. When it comes to light bulbs I'm a candle 🕯️🙄