New guy with a blight question

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and you may have had much discussion on this already but the "late blight" has been causing a lot of problems in my area. One question that I have is about my potatoes. The plants were able to grow until they naturally died off and I usually let them in the ground (covered with leaves) for the whole winter. My question is - can the blight affect the potatoes under the ground after the plants are gone or should I dig them up and store another way?

Thank you in advance

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi! Welcome! I was hoping someone would have an answer for you. My understanding about blight is that it is harbored in the dirt. Therefore, I would think it best to get the potatoes out of the ground. But, this is just a guess. Since they keep pretty well, in the basement, I guess I wouldn't chance leaving them in the ground... I am going to try and mulch with hay under my tomatoes and potatoes to try and protect the bottom leaves from dirt splashing after the rain. Good luck!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my little bit of reading about the problem, this is the blight, or similar, to what caused the Irish Potato Famine in the 19th century.

During that time, potatoes rotted in storage and that appears to be the case now. The spores can invade the potatoes after they are in storage as well as prior, in the field. "Meltdown" after all the work of the harvest must have been a real cause for despair.

Late blight, and the new more virulent strains, have been around in the US for quite awhile. I don't know what is going on this summer but apparently the problem is widespread.

So, I think that it may not matter one way or the other. In fact, if they are free of the disease now - lifting and moving them around may just make it more possible that they will become infected.

A little history, http://www.plant.uga.edu/labrat/potatofamine.htm

Steve

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - I think I am going to leave them in the ground and hope for the best.

Latest posts