New hand here

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Been over at Backyard Chickens for years. Only recently spotted the Easy Garden link!

I love to garden, mostly veggies, but I like anything that grows. Im dont know much about gardening stuff, and I dont know all the plants out there. So Im a rank beginner - well, rank anyway....

I do know I like clematis and just put in two vines this weekend. SO if anyone has tips for clematis, let me know.

Otherwise, howdy!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey there Davaroo.

I have 2 jackmanii clematis vines - one on the northside of the house, one on the northside of the garage.

The only thing I know about them that seems kind of unusual is that clematis are not supposed to like sunlight on the soil around their roots. Cool soil, I guess is the plan.

You know, that old Summer sun spins around a long way into the north sky early and late up here near 49 North. The ground around the feet of the clematis stay in the shade and they really seem to like their locations. One was here before I came and I planted the other because the 1st was doing so well, about 12 years ago. Their leaf buds are just starting to swell and that brings a smile :).
Good luck with yours :frow.

Steve

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ive heard the roots need to be mulched over to keep them cool, and that moderate sun is okay. SO I should do alright.

Thanks.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I accidentally damaged one of the larger vines of my clematis one year and it caused it to bloom again in the early fall...just when it was starting to taper off, it took off again. No other changes had occured so I'm assuming it was the distressing of the vine.

Hey, Davaroo! Where's your kitty? :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:welcome

I wish I had some advice for ya, but have not tried these vines yet. I would need something to stand up to great humitidy and full sun almost all the time on our property.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:welcome

The only variety of clematis I am familiar with is "Sweet Autumn".
It will bloom both late spring (if not pruned) and fall from new growth. Once established, it's a hardyyyyyyyyyyyyyy plant. It can take hard pruning, recommended in early spring, but I have simply mowered over it. Can't seem to kill it no matter what I do.

This variety has white flowers, 5 petals, kind of a star shape. Blister beetles love it. They wont kill the vine, but just eat every leaf on it. Problem is, then they migrate to the veggie garden and start in on the tomatos.

Hope this helps! :)

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi David! :)

Clematis often enjoy a large rock on their roots, or a big paver (might cover it in mulch in a hot sunny climate). Helps keeps the roots cool and moist.

Pat

Latest posts