New here and from Massachusetts/BYC member too

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, so two more are expecting chick babies, its so exciting isn't it? All my friends are always saying that I am crazy to start raising chickens now, they are like can you be any busier? But, I really like the whole concept, it will be nice when they start laying eggs.Its not that much work really after the initial set up.My dog just had a litter of 3 pups and we are keeping them, now you will think I am really crazy.I like to be busy though and gardening and restoring my old house is fun for me.I am a real homebody so I like to surround myself with things that I love and can get satisfaction from.I think it sets a good example for the kids too.I am teaching my son how to cook now and the younger ones really like to help me cook,garden and help with the chickens.Phyllis, I have friends in Westwood, its not that far from me.Reinbeau, I think that Herb Society sounds like something I would like, I checked out their website.What do you do as members?

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau,
I noticed that the herb society is having a plant sale this weekend, I think I will head down there.I wonder if there will be anything for my new garden.You have probably been to these before, whats your opinion?
Thanks, Natalie

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
simple life said:
Reinbeau,
I noticed that the herb society is having a plant sale this weekend, I think I will head down there.I wonder if there will be anything for my new garden.You have probably been to these before, whats your opinion?
Thanks, Natalie
The Herb Society's plant sale was last weekend - this weekend is the Society Row plant sale, we'll be selling there, but so will many other societies (the Daylily society, Hosta, Gesneriad, etc). It will happen rain or shine, unfortunately it looks like rain for them, but they've got awesome plants, you'll enjoy it!

To answer your other question, the Herb Society meets once a month at either a garden or someone's home, we host talks on all things herbal, and we keep the Teaching Herb Garden at Elm Bank, the headquarters for the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. Elm Bank is really coming into its own now, there are so many different gardens that a re maturing, it's well worth the trip! If you do go be sure to check out our garden, it's right next to the Rhody Society's.

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There were so many things going on last weekend that I missed.We were celebrating my son's birthday that day, but saturday had alot of intreresting things going on.
I would have loved to go to the herb sale, and Codman Farm had an educational seminar on keeping chickens that day as well.I am really interested in the Herb Society.I may see you at the sale tomorrow if my son's baseball game gets rained out.Although my daughter had a lacrosse game in last nights pouring rain,it was coming down so hard you could barely see and it was pretty cold but the game went on.Actually if the sale starts early enough I can do that first.I will go over to their site and check out the times.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome.gif

I'm pretty new here too. I am enjoying the time I have spent on this board. I am sure you will too.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Natalie, I won't be there, but my cohorts will be. I've got to attend my son's girlfriend's graduation from Worcester State. If you do go, do check in with the herb people and tell them Ann Rein told you about them! They're a nice bunch :bouquet

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Reinbeau,
I went to the Society Row Plant sale today. WOW! It was great.I made my way over to the herb table and met your group That had very nice things to say about you.What sweet, amazing women.They were so friendly and knowlegeable.I took my youngest daughter Scarlett with me, she is 4 and she wants to help in the garden so I am giving her a small bed of her own.Well let me tell ya, she was probably the best customer they had all day.If it smelled good she wanted it,we spent $114.00 on herb plants.She especially liked the mint plants and I think one was ginger.She loves the idea of being able to eat them.We got 25 plants and I had my own personal shopper to help me.She described each one and made recomendations.I also got some strawberry plants for my son to grow.So I think we are off to a great start with all the variety we got and I should be able to put together a nice herb garden. It was a great day,the gardens are beautiful and all the sellers are really nice.I would recommend this to anyone.On the way home we had stop at the feed store for some pine shavings,luckily there weren't any chicks for sale;)Thanks for the heads up about the sale.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good, Natalie, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Now you have to post a picture of your new herb garden when you get it finished :watering

Rhett&SarahsMom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Over from the BYC board as well. We live up here in North Central MA(Fitchburg)
Waiting on the chicks to arrive the 11th of June
Small container garden right now. Tomato, sweet peppers and some catnip for the girl and the "twin" boys I am thinking of planting some green beans and maybe a watermelon. Maybe even some pumpkins for the fall.
Other than that. I have pansies in my porch flower boxes, another hanging basket next to the drive and my daughter has her own geraniums that she takes care of. I am not allowed to touch or help her with her flowers. :rolleyes: And a rose bush of some sort in the back yard. Short bloom, small flower. Was there when we moved in and REALLY over grown.
Currently I am a SAHM, but want to go back to work when my daughter starts KG this fall

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Welcome, :happy_flower
It is fun for the children to have their own garden isn't it? I think its good for them. I have had my kids out in the yard every day this week helping me plant some shrubs and flowers and we put in the vegetable gardens as well. They learn alot and ask questions, really enjoy it. My son came home from school today with a bean plant and was very excited to add it to our other vegetables, except we had to put in a stick with his name on it so he would know that one was his.:)
I think you will enjoy this group, very nice and friendly people. I have learned alot and tried some things I would not otherwise have done.:)
Happy gardening,:tools
Natalie

Latest posts