New here and saying hello

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot. I found this board from a post from Rabbit Talk. I am Garden Lady over there. I have been gardening before getting rabbits, but this summer we rescued rabbits that were abandoned and running loose in our garden. They were getting ready to have babies under our shed. We decided to keep them for manure for the garden. My husband build a big hutch. We now have a lot of rabbit manure and chopped leaves on the garden for the winter and compost bins all over the place. Our ground has been very bad from the beginning and we are hoping this will make a difference. We do not have a lot of room, but have been expanding and taking over more of the yard each year. Love to read what other gardeners are doing and see pictures.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Gardening with Rabbits :frow !

On other posts, you said that you have lived in Oklahoma & Kansas.

That has made me curious: where do you have the "garden with rabbits?"

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Welcome to the forum, Gardening with Rabbits :frow !

On other posts, you said that you have lived in Oklahoma & Kansas.

That has made me curious: where do you have the "garden with rabbits?"

Steve
I have lived in Idaho for the last 14 years and lived here a few years before that going back and forth to Kansas. Thank you for the welcome!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Good for you for taking care of abandoned rabbits. They'll be a big help with your soil. There's a few others on TEG that also keep rabbits. Looking forward to garden conversations with you!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Idaho?!

Now I've found that you posted on that old 2008 thread!

More Idaho people every day!

;) Steve :)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:welcome

Hello from the Mitten!

Welcome welcome, and yes rabbit manure is like little time release nuggets of pure garden magic. It can be sprinkled right over the garden rows even as the plants are growing it won't hurt them at all. Save those little gems!!! What breed of rabbits do you have? And I'm a lurker on Rabbit Talk. Glad to have you aboard!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
:welcome

Hello from the Mitten!

Welcome welcome, and yes rabbit manure is like little time release nuggets of pure garden magic. It can be sprinkled right over the garden rows even as the plants are growing it won't hurt them at all. Save those little gems!!! What breed of rabbits do you have? And I'm a lurker on Rabbit Talk. Glad to have you aboard!
They are Flemish Giants. We have been hauling cow and horse manure, buying topsoil and compost, so this is really nice to have all this. I have been using hay for bedding for them and they each have a litter box in the back of the hutch with hay and woodstove pellets. They have half a solid wood floor and then wire and under the wire we collect what goes through the wire. We put manure on the garden and chopped leaves, and had a lot of compost made. We have more compost piles going and I am planning to expand some other areas of the yard. My husband and son want to raise worms. The rabbits need an exercise pen so we can let them each out one at a time for exercise. They come to be petted, have names that a couple have learned, but they do not like to be picked up, so we are thinking of making a ramp. Let one out at a time or a divided pen so 2 could be out, but separated. We have clover grass and a lot of dandelions in the yard, and I grow a lot of things they can eat. Thank you for the welcome!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Welcome! Good for you for taking care of abandoned rabbits. They'll be a big help with your soil. There's a few others on TEG that also keep rabbits. Looking forward to garden conversations with you!
I am glad my husband was able to build the hutch and make it big enough for them. They are happy with their own space. They were starting to fight when they were running loose.

Latest posts