New here from South Central Virginia

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey everyone :frow

I've been gardening all my life under my parent's guidence. Now that I am grown and renting a small piece of property in the country I have been wanting to garden more and become more self sufficient. The past several years of gardening has produced but with limited success.

The SO built me 2 raised veggie beds for this year. I still need to put in a weed barrier and fill it with dirt. I am going to try and grow verticle in these beds with the help of some left over fencing material. I also have a small bed that I will use for tomatoes and peppers.

I'm looking forward to reading and learning from all of ya'll.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey StonyGarden! Welcome! Looking forward to hearing about your garden. There's several members on here that are in your neck of the woods. If your user name is descriptive of your soil , you're in good company!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:welcome

and howdy Stony!

Make sure you remember your login stuff.

Yea, we have a good number of great folks from your neck of the woods.

Get your breathable weed barrier down, make sure you have good drainage, and fill them with good composty soil. Vertical growing will be fun. What ya growing?

:frow

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi stonygarden :) excited to have you join us! We've had many discussions on weed barrier here, some of us are not big fans of that fabric-y kind - seems to cause all sorts of problems a few years down the road. What are you thinking about using?

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank ya'll for giving me such a warm welcome!

My raised beds were built out of left over 2 x 4s that have been sitting outside for several years now. So they are not exactly perfectly square. I need to have some sort of weed fabric on the inside so I don't loose too much soil through the cracks. On the bottom I was going to use newspaper. I use newspaper in my flowerbeds with decent sucess.

I'm lookin to grow cucumbers, green beans, tomatoes, and maybe some squash in the raised bed with some radishes, lettuce, and spinich around the outside.

I also have a tiny little plot of amended soil (where my first garden was 2 years ago when I moved here) that I plan to use for peppers and maybe some more tomatoes.

My soil here is actually a mix between sand and clay. Not very stony at all LOL. I live in a little town called Stony Creek. That's why I chose the handle StonyGarden.

Latest posts