New house, new garden.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well we finally got moved from that rat infested place. We didn't even keep our sofa and loveseat for fear we would bring along a hitchhiker but took them to the dumping station.

Our house here has a large backyard. There is a good size raised bed in the back (12x12 approximately) but it is full of brush that must be burned and it is under two huge native pecan trees, so much shade. I brought my large pot with my cherry tomato plant in it. By the way not a tomato yet and here it is August. Also a few planters I had my peppers growing in. They are looking better now so maybe a few peppers in the next couple of months.

Everytime I take my little dog to the yard I pick up a few pecans to bring in to dry out. Trying to beat the squirrels to them. They are native pecans so that means small but tasty. I have at least 10 trees in and around the yard. One towering pine that keeps the grass down in the front yard.

I'm thinking about raising meat rabbits but I did get rid of my chickens. If I can build a chicken tractor I might get some again though. DH misses those fresh eggs.

It's handy for the boys and all their sports to live in town. They are loving it but I keep threatening to move back to the country if they leave without telling me. My grandson has made friends with a brother and sister next door and spends every moment he can with them. Last night we locked him out because we thought he was in getting his shower. After we kept hearing knocking we let him in. Maybe he'll not do that again.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad you got into a better house. You might want to observe the raised bed's sun exposure. See how much sun it gets now, and try to imagine where the sun was in May. It is a lot more to the south now than it is in May.
Even if it is a bed with more shade than you want, there are still a lot of greens that will grow. And anything that matures before the tree leaves get all fully developed in the spring.

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congrats on the move, new happy memories to make in a new home!
How fun to be able to plan out new garden beds, that is the best part of moving, to me.
(I won't mention all the work it takes to make those beds...:hide)

Latest posts