New local apple tree found

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year, we planted a "Dolgo" crab apple, with the intent of using it for jelly. It turned out to not be the crab apple I had been searching for (which was planted around a local restaurant) but that may be a blessing; those crab apples, while plentiful, spoiled quickly. This is the tree's 2nd year, and the fruit set - and its exceptional holding ability - bode well for the future. Those apples are still firm, and nearly flawless. I just need to keep it protected from the deer & bunnies until it grows large enough to defend itself... and hope it grows fast enough for me to get a few years of use from it. The Spring display is worthwhile regardless, especially next to the neighboring magnolia.
20221104_115959.jpg

DW's all-volunteer flower garden (in bottom of photo) outshined the apple tree this year. 💝 :hugs

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year, we planted a "Dolgo" crab apple, with the intent of using it for jelly. It turned out to not be the crab apple I had been searching for (which was planted around a local restaurant) but that may be a blessing; those crab apples, while plentiful, spoiled quickly. This is the tree's 2nd year, and the fruit set - and its exceptional holding ability - bode well for the future. Those apples are still firm, and nearly flawless. I just need to keep it protected from the deer & bunnies until it grows large enough to defend itself... and hope it grows fast enough for me to get a few years of use from it. The Spring display is worthwhile regardless, especially next to the neighboring magnolia.
View attachment 53342
DW's all-volunteer flower garden (in bottom of photo) outshined the apple tree this year. 💝 :hugs

that does look like a Dolgo to me so i'm interested in what you were looking for that this wasn't? :) our neighbor to the north of us (we're friendly and talk once in a while, but it's nearly half a mile away) has a nice tree that's about 8ft tall and i've never been able to get fruit from it from him because i never ask and when i think to ask it's all gone...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
that does look like a Dolgo to me so i'm interested in what you were looking for that this wasn't? :) our neighbor to the north of us (we're friendly and talk once in a while, but it's nearly half a mile away) has a nice tree that's about 8ft tall and i've never been able to get fruit from it from him because i never ask and when i think to ask it's all gone...
The crab apple trees around a local fast-food restaurant (6-7 trees) have clusters of apples about the size of your thumb (from tip to first knuckle) and slightly elongated. They grew very quickly, to about 10' tall, and are LOADED with apples every year... but those apples are often flawed or bug infested, drop when ripe, and spoil rather quickly. I had described those to a local nursery, who thought they might be Dolgo - but definitely not. Still, I can buy a burger there & pick as many apples as I can handle - less for them to clean off of the parking lot. I'll probably continue to use those until Dolgo begins to bear heavily.

Latest posts