new member in south san diego

littletom

Sprout
Reaction score
hello, i just wanted to introduce myself. my name is tom and i live in southern san diego (imperial beach area) i have been researching methods for starting my own small garden and came across this site and must say it has a ton of great info! i grew up gardening seasonally with my father and grandfather in NJ but that was many years ago and in a completely different environment than the southern cali coast so i am hoping to get some info and tips as far as appropriate methods and plants for my local area. i figure san diego has a major advantage as far a weather is concerned with it's mild climate but i am forced to deal with other issues here like a lack of space and money to garden with (hey, all that so-cal sunshine ain't free right) :rolleyes: if there are any folks here from the area i would love to pick your brains (and gardens) for any advise, tips, seeds, ect. fit for san diego gardening. i have always been a fan of saving $ and the DIY lifestyle and it seems you guys definitely know a thing or two in that realm. looking forward to gaining some new knowledge and experience. thanks

-littletom

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First off I wanna say :welcome

Second off... I don't know a thing about the climate there... but it sure is fun to visit! :D

littletom

Sprout
Reaction score
thank you for the welcome guys :D yeah, i realize san diego is kinda tricky when it comes to "climate zones" so i guess i should do some more research on that. i live about 1 1/2 miles from the coast so the weather here is typically mild (50-70 degrees averages year round) rarely too hot but frost isn't an issue either. it hasn't snowed in my town since before i was born. contrary to popular belief though san diego isn't always "sunny san diego" as the coast is often covered by overcast marine layer clouds in the winter and spring. travel 10-20 miles east though and it's a whole nother world. after all, it's still the only place in america that you can ski, surf and hang out in the desert all in the same day. :lol:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow

Howdy!

Can ya grow coffee Beans down there???

We have some members on the forum here who are from San Diego. One who is 81 just had major heart surgery 5 weeks ago and we have not heard from since.

littletom

Sprout
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
:frow

Howdy!

Can ya grow coffee Beans down there???

We have some members on the forum here who are from San Diego. One who is 81 just had major heart surgery 5 weeks ago and we have not heard from since.
hmmm, never thought about coffee. it's grown on a large scale in mexico and i can literally see mexico from my front yard so who knows :/ if i can successfully grow coffee i think i'd have to fill my whole yard with coffee plants to keep up with the demand of my gf and i :lol: though with the sharp rises of coffee prices over the last 2 years it would definitely be well worth it!

also, i am familiar with hoody, i met him through another forum shortly before he went into surgery and he gave me a few rabbits. haven't heard from him since and hope all is well with him. :/ he had a pretty sweet little rabbit and backyard garden setup. :cool:

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We sure do miss hoody. :(

I'm on the opposite coast and I share some of your frustrations. It does get a bit colder here than there tho. We didn't have any snow this winter, but last winter we had about 4 days of snow spread thru the winter. It was so cold! :(

**And here's where all the northeners say to zip it and think about how they feel... :lol: **

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Littletom and welcome to the forums. I lived in downtown SD in 1964 and in Chula Vista in '65 through '74. Oh! Those were good days with lots of great memories. Except for 13 months in DaNang in '67 & '68.

Please make yourself comfortable here and tell us all about your gardening experiences as you grow (pun intended).

Latest posts