New Member Intro!

hennypenny9

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi, I live in Bellingham Washington (for now) and I've never gardened before. I'm in zone 8? But there is some thing about Sunset Zones that confuses me.

I'm attempting to grow Peppermint, Spearmint, English and French Lavender, Garlic Chives, and Rosemary. I'm getting Strawberries against all common sense, and putting in a large pot. Once I move I'm planting a selection of lettuce and peas. I'm going to take a cutting of the Cat Mint that's in my yard. I want to expand to more herbs, and perhaps a small lemon tree. Indoors, of course.

I don't know where exactly I'm going once I move, but I hope to have no lawn, and all garden! (Really, unless you have small children, why have a lawn?) And a chicken run. All sorts of things are waiting for this silly house to sell. Sell. Sell now.

I have a soft spot for hydrangeas. I'll leave you with some pictures from my current house in summer and winter.

100_1379.jpg
100_1381.jpg

100_2035.jpg
100_2037.jpg

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
According to my copy of Sunset Western Garden book, you are currently in zone 4. But I don't have the most recent edition, mine is 2001.

Beautiful area you are in. You can grow so many wonderful plants there. Same sunset zone as Butchart Gardens!
Pretty photos from your garden. I wish you well in finding a new place with no needed lawn.

I have children and a dog. I still am stuck with a lawn, but I have it all planned out what will happen to the yard when they are grown.

hennypenny9

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Zone 4, huh? Guess I didn't read those maps right after all! I do love Washington. So green!

I just have this thing with lawns. Most people just fertilize them and mow them, and they have no point. I do see having them with kids, though. Then it gets used! Usefulness is good! This is a pic of my current yard. As you can see, there is lots of space. Well, it seems like lots of space to me. And I can't do anything with it now, since it's for sale. The only thing I'll miss is the wisteria. It's the dead thing in the corner. I can't find any live pictures of it, but it's really pretty.

100_1366.jpg

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can tell the wisteria is absolutely goregous because it has a beautiful structure. What a shame to have to leave it behind. Oh how I wish I could have a yard that big!

I don't fertilize my grass, just use a mulching mower. However, I'm sure I don't have the prettiest lawn in the neighborhood as a result.

You may be correct about your Sunset zone. They change things with each edition of their book. The edition I have says I can't grow blueberries, but the 2007 one says I can and mentions the Southern Highbush ones for my area.

hennypenny9

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sad too. This yard just never got very much character. Very cookie-cutter. But we couldn't take out the lawn, because it's good for resale value. The area has an elementary and middle school almost in walking distance.

Oh, maybe I'll see if my library has the newest addition of Sunset Western.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome... and I do think its a pretty lawn. I bet it will help sell it... sorry you have to move, it sounds like you don't want to.

We just moved from an 800 sq ft apartment to a 1400 sq ft house with an open acre of land. Too bad the grass was killed by evil stalking weeds that attack my feet and kid! I got chickens... take that evil weeds and ants!!! Get 'em chickens Get 'em!!!!!

Oh sorry... are you going to get chickens when you move?! :) I don't see then doing well on your lawn. :D

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Oh, maybe I'll see if my library has the newest addition of Sunset Western.
That's how I read the most recent edition, too. Not enough necessary changes to warrant a purchase yet.

hennypenny9

Leafing Out
Reaction score
vfem said:
Welcome... and I do think its a pretty lawn. I bet it will help sell it... sorry you have to move, it sounds like you don't want to.

We just moved from an 800 sq ft apartment to a 1400 sq ft house with an open acre of land. Too bad the grass was killed by evil stalking weeds that attack my feet and kid! I got chickens... take that evil weeds and ants!!! Get 'em chickens Get 'em!!!!!

Oh sorry... are you going to get chickens when you move?! :) I don't see then doing well on your lawn. :D
Yeah, I'm getting chickens when I move, unless I have to move to an apartment. Nothing's for sure at the moment. I do want to move IF I could have a garden and chickens. Technically, according to the city, I can legally have chickens at my current house. Nice, but too late!

Congratulations on the land! My future goal is to get acreage. After two years, I have decided that suburbia is not for me.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What is a sunset zone???

If you are in the same zone as Butchart Gardens you are very lucky...they seem to be able to grow just about everything there...We visited it a few years back in April in the rain and it was beautiful...If you can go there and take notes

btw :welcome

Latest posts