New member introduction

RoyJonesBiv

Sprout
Reaction score
Awesome! I’m only in my third year gardening but I’m hooked lol this year I grew brocolli several different varieties of lettuce and several different peppers and corn and green beans and peas and carrots and potatoes and watermelon and cucumber and tomatoes. Currently have some wheat although this is my first time trying that do not sure how that will turn out

Finnie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I’m here to meet like minded people and create new relationships. Trading ideas and learning from eachother! Indiana zone 5b look forward to hearing from you
:frow Hi!
I am also in Indiana zone 5b. This prompted me to look it up on a state map, and it turns out the line between 5b and 6a goes right through my town. So I had to look it up on a county map and I found that the line is halfway between my house and the center of town. That explains how come every spring the trees and flowers are blooming in town way before mine at home do. I always figured I must live in a cold pocket. I am in Hamilton County, by the way.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awesome! I’m only in my third year gardening but I’m hooked lol this year I grew brocolli several different varieties of lettuce and several different peppers and corn and green beans and peas and carrots and potatoes and watermelon and cucumber and tomatoes. Currently have some wheat although this is my first time trying that do not sure how that will turn out

if you planted winter wheat then it grows as it gets a chance this fall/winter and spring and will put on heads next early summer. harvest when the wheat is ready. i don't know how to say it, but basically when it looks dry enough and you notice the chipmunks and birds starting to go after it. at least that is how i did it the one year i grew winter wheat and winter rye. i got some entertainment out of watching the chipmunks jumping up to pull the wheat heads down to harvest them.

i did harvest them myself too, but it turned out i never did thresh them out much. i ate perhaps one bowl of wheat berries cooked up and that was ok with me. just did it for the winter ground cover more than anything, but should have turned it all under in the early spring, yet didn't...

as for what we grow here: rhubarb, strawberries, onions (several kinds), chives, garlic, peppers, tomatoes, melons, peas, beans (a lot of beans), dill, cucumbers and squash and plenty of flowers. we have some wild berries and raspberries growing around the edges, but i don't particularly grow those on purpose, the birds mostly get all those anyways which is all ok with me. :) we also grow a wide variety of mints and other herbs which we hardly touch at all, they're mostly now escapees which wander in the little bit of lawn we have left. even with all the chives we have we hardly touch those either, but the bees sure do love 'em so i'm ok with them doing what they are and where they are at - pretty much the same with a lot of the onions that survive to flower. i like how many bees seem to use those as nectar/pollen sources so i let them alone. also decorative plants of various kinds and of course, weeds...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from the SF bay area. Sounds like you are growing quite a variety for a fairly new gardener. Do you have chickens? If not, they are pretty easy and I'm sure that little one would love them!

Mary

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:frow Hi!
I am also in Indiana zone 5b. This prompted me to look it up on a state map, and it turns out the line between 5b and 6a goes right through my town. So I had to look it up on a county map and I found that the line is halfway between my house and the center of town. That explains how come every spring the trees and flowers are blooming in town way before mine at home do. I always figured I must live in a cold pocket. I am in Hamilton County, by the way.
I live in Champaign County, IL and that Same Line goes right through My property, too. Just a hint, buy perennials for Zone 4 or even Zone 3. I have had some perennials that bit the dust after a cold winter, here, like one of my Rose of Sharon.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
No need to apologize for anyone thinking you are crazy, RoyJonesBiv . Especially if you can delight yourself (& them) with good things from the garden, including colorful flowers and views :).

Composting is a great idea and Worm Castings are what I look for on the ingredient list for any potting mix. I consider them the very best organic fertilizer for the plants.

Now, if I was spending the money to spread worm castings around in the open garden and thinking that my veggies will hold down the household budget ... No. I have to rely on doing my best at putting into the ground what hasn't been carried into the kitchen. Or, what has been carried in and been carried out as peelings and such.

I'm hoping that my composting is under wraps well enough not to make my neighbors think I'm crazy! Right now begins the season when I will have buckets of peelings and such frozen and sitting around. The stealth composting is full, working and there is no reason to disturb it. Soon - the surface of the compost will be frozen, as well! I just do the best that I can ;).

Now, you people in Indiana (@Finnie !) , I've never been to the state. I'm wondering if you know Trafalgar and the neighborhood? I asked that question of @seedcorn once and he said that he knew where it is but he lives quite a ways north. I learned that I have ancestors who showed up in Indiana when European Americans first came to that territory. Just curious - i know, and a little crazy ;).

Steve
Steve

Latest posts