New member introduction

Finnie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No need to apologize for anyone thinking you are crazy, RoyJonesBiv . Especially if you can delight yourself (& them) with good things from the garden, including colorful flowers and views :).

Composting is a great idea and Worm Castings are what I look for on the ingredient list for any potting mix. I consider them the very best organic fertilizer for the plants.

Now, if I was spending the money to spread worm castings around in the open garden and thinking that my veggies will hold down the household budget ... No. I have to rely on doing my best at putting into the ground what hasn't been carried into the kitchen. Or, what has been carried in and been carried out as peelings and such.

I'm hoping that my composting is under wraps well enough not to make my neighbors think I'm crazy! Right now begins the season when I will have buckets of peelings and such frozen and sitting around. The stealth composting is full, working and there is no reason to disturb it. Soon - the surface of the compost will be frozen, as well! I just do the best that I can ;).

Now, you people in Indiana (@Finnie !) , I've never been to the state. I'm wondering if you know Trafalgar and the neighborhood? I asked that question of @seedcorn once and he said that he knew where it is but he lives quite a ways north. I learned that I have ancestors who showed up in Indiana when European Americans first came to that territory. Just curious - i know, and a little crazy ;).

Steve
Steve
I’ve never been to Trafalger. I’ve heard of it. It comes up on Craigslist ads a lot. I just looked it up, and it’s a little more than an hour south of me. We are originally from Michigan and have only been here about 16 years. Most of the places I’ve been in Indiana have been from driving around buying chickens! :lol:
That’s pretty neat that you have ancestors from that era. There is a living history museum type place here called Connor Prairie. It has settlements from a few different time periods, including 1816 when the first White people came. That would be pretty cool to have a connection like that.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Hi
:frow Hi!
I am also in Indiana zone 5b. This prompted me to look it up on a state map, and it turns out the line between 5b and 6a goes right through my town. So I had to look it up on a county map and I found that the line is halfway between my house and the center of town. That explains how come every spring the trees and flowers are blooming in town way before mine at home do. I always figured I must live in a cold pocket. I am in Hamilton County, by the way.

Hello Finnie ~ First time I notice your presents ~ good to see you ```

Finnie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi

Hello Finnie ~ First time I notice your presents ~ good to see you ```
Thank you @valley ranch . @baymule has been encouraging me to participate more instead of just lurk, so I have started sticking my neck out a little bit when I find things I can contribute to. But I have been using all these sister sites as reading entertainment for a few years now. I like it better than watching television.

By the way, I liked your snowy avatar picture, so when I was deciding on my own avatar, I looked for a snowy one, and found my chicken coop.
So, thanks for the inspiration!:frow

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you very much. Super excited to talk to other people. Everyone here thinks I’m crazy but I don’t care lol!
You are among friends now! Many of us are the oddball in the family or neighborhood, it's so nice to have other people to talk to. We love to talk all things garden and sometimes, just talk and visit. Welcome from Texas, glad to have you here!

Latest posts