Evy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m new here.
I got into gardening/houseplants when covid started and now I’m obsessed. I recently started some seeds inside. I started pumpkins, squash, peppers, apples, sunflowers, basil, and strawberries. All have sprouted and are growing beautifully.
My mom and I are also planning on building some raised beds for our garden this year. Right now I have one apple tree, one peach tree and a flower garden. And once it’s warm enough, we’ll plant the sprouts outside.
Anyway, I’m looking forward to being a part of this community. Thanks!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
hello and welcome from mid-Michigan. :)

edible apples are not easy to grow from seed. you may get a nice plant and tree from the seeds but often the resulting fruits are not all that edible and you won't know for several years (some trees may take 8-10 years to get their first fruits and others may bear sooner). the odds of getting an edible apple have been stated at about 1 in 20,000 - 40,000 and in other cases it's been found to be about 25% if you are working with very compatible and edible apples and are doing the crosses by hand. an apple seed from a random apple that you buy at the store i'd rate more closely to the rare side of things v.s. the 25% rate. and not to discourage you from keeping on going but just to make you aware that you may end up with a sour apple that isn't very edible.

in the older days apples were mostly grown for making hard cider and not for eating out of hand. only the known grafted varieties are predictable (and worth growing just because they are often grown on known rootstocks so you have some control over the size of the resulting tree - a wild seed grown tree may get quite a bit bigger).

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
:welcome from Central IL!
Thx for putting your location with your avatar bc I will Never remember where you live when you ask questions.
Flowerbug is right, you will not have much success planting seeds from a fruit tree. Don't REALLY know why, BUT fruit tree growers always graft the preferred tree ONTO a more stable a hearty root stock, and That is what pruduces a good producing fruit tree.
I live on the border of 5b/6a but I am having trouble with my peach tree. It is a beautiful 15 ft tree, but hasn't produced well for me. You are lucky that yours has survived--Georgia is the "Peach State" for a reason.
I live on 5 acres--my horses graze 4/5 acres from May-November--and I don't need any more decorative trees. My Magnolia Jane (hybred created in Michigan in the 1950's), is fancy enough for me.
Next time you Plant a tree be sure to plant it a couple of inches above the soil. The soil will settle and the tree will settle. All of the problems I have heard about with trees/bushes is planting too deep. Just FYI.
Btw, no judges here, just plant nerds.

Evy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
:welcome from Central IL!
Thx for putting your location with your avatar bc I will Never remember where you live when you ask questions.
Flowerbug is right, you will not have much success planting seeds from a fruit tree. Don't REALLY know why, BUT fruit tree growers always graft the preferred tree ONTO a more stable a hearty root stock, and That is what pruduces a good producing fruit tree.
I live on the border of 5b/6a but I am having trouble with my peach tree. It is a beautiful 15 ft tree, but hasn't produced well for me. You are lucky that yours has survived--Georgia is the "Peach State" for a reason.
I live on 5 acres--my horses graze 4/5 acres from May-November--and I don't need any more decorative trees. My Magnolia Jane (hybred created in Michigan in the 1950's), is fancy enough for me.
Next time you Plant a tree be sure to plant it a couple of inches above the soil. The soil will settle and the tree will settle. All of the problems I have heard about with trees/bushes is planting too deep. Just FYI.
Btw, no judges here, just plant nerds.
I’m actually shocked! I never knew that you couldn’t grow fruit trees from seeds until you guys told me! I’m thankful you did though.

Lol, my original peach tree didn’t survive- well it got a disease so we returned it. But we just kept a shoot that had grown off of it, so it’s really tiny. The peach tree did do well before it got a disease though! It gave us one peach in the first year we had it. I actually didn’t check if the shoot made it through the winter though, but I will do that now.

I forgot to add that I have a cherry tree too! I don’t know why I didn’t remember that.

Thank you so much for all the useful information!