new powermate tiller.... what a letdown

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Bought it at home depot... used it one weekend ... it was hard to started but figured it was just new. Put it in storage and now it won't start at all. Really bummed as this was a real splurge for me. Their customer service was horrible. so sad.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me when I bought a Poulan leaf blower. I renamed it PULL AND PULL AND PULL AND PULL, and now it does not start at all. Next one will be a real live Stihl.

If it has a motor and seems like a cheap bargain it's really an expensive waste.

That 80 dollar Pull and pull was a waste, but I need a good one, and it'll be around 370 dollars.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ouch!

The recent purchases of lawnmowers may fall into this category . . . I have a very small amount of grass to mow but do take the mower out to mow around the big veggie garden several times each year. Never that I can remember have I had less than about 10 years out of a mower.

Then, I got a little Craftsman with a Briggs & Stratton engine. I'm not sure if it lasted 5 years. So, I avoided Craftsman but could only find B&S engines on the smaller mowers that I thought were in my price range. A new Poulan didn't cost a lot. I may get only 1 season out of that thing! My son says it "rattles." I can't hear it but there seems to be way too much smoke when it starts. Ay Caramba!

Steve :rolleyes:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have had our troy built for 25 years. It would cost a fortune to replace it. It was a giant splurge when we got it. I have also had 3 mantis tillers in the last 30 years. I couldn't live with out it. Try getting a gas conditioner.I think it's called gum-out. Gas goes bad very quickly. My husband sprays carburetor cleaner in then when they will not start. I like to run the gas out at the end of the season.
Naughty said:
Bought it at home depot... used it one weekend ... it was hard to started but figured it was just new. Put it in storage and now it won't start at all. Really bummed as this was a real splurge for me. Their customer service was horrible. so sad.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Same thing happened to me when I bought a Poulan leaf blower. I renamed it PULL AND PULL AND PULL AND PULL, and now it does not start at all. Next one will be a real live Stihl.

If it has a motor and seems like a cheap bargain it's really an expensive waste.

That 80 dollar Pull and pull was a waste, but I need a good one, and it'll be around 370 dollars.
Marshallsmyth,

I highly recommend the Stihl Leaf Blowers. They are quite powerful, efficient on gas, not too loud when in use, and comfortable back strap. I've saved a while to be able to afford one. I'm going to use it this Fall on my property in NC. It will be great to use there because of so many trees in the woods and because this blower is especially for use on large properties/acreage.
If you do get one, look for the Magnum its similar to the BR600 model which is the one I have, the Magnum is much improved from the BR600. You really can't beat a Stihl, Other brands of leaf blowers can't compete.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It sure indeed will be a real live Stihl, but I was thinking about the top of the line hand held model. Where I'll be doing leaf cleanup has a lot of obstacles and trees, decks, things that make the hand held ones better.

But I have to get a new power inverter too, one stronger than 1,500 watts. Off the grid here, and my inverter went out, so I'm right now on straight generator power, kind of expensive even with the great little honda on eco setting, compared to using the inverter over half the time in summer, and almost half the time in winter...(To do with how batteries are less efficient when cold during winter.)

So, inverter first, this payday, leaf blower next month.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a Stihl hand held blower that's about 14 years old and still running great. I love Stihl equipment. But for Christmas my husband bought me a Husqvarna backpack blower and it's great. Husqvarna makes high quality tools also.

I think it's always best to buy the best quality tools you can afford.

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sad part is my dad has a mantis I borrowed last year and I loved it.

I got the powermate cause I thought it would be as good or better cause it was new.

Now I have to take it to a repair shop. Of course I have lost the receipt so I can't get warranty work. If I get it running and it starts I'll keep it butseriously thinking of selling it and getting a better one next year

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
We have had our troy built for 25 years. It would cost a fortune to replace it. It was a giant splurge when we got it. I have also had 3 mantis tillers in the last 30 years. I couldn't live with out it. Try getting a gas conditioner.I think it's called gum-out. Gas goes bad very quickly. My husband sprays carburetor cleaner in then when they will not start. I like to run the gas out at the end of the season.
Naughty said:
The quality of Troybilts isn't as good as they used to be but they're still the best on the market. Those little Mantis tillers are great. You can even use them in raised beds. I use the electric ones. They have less power but you don't have all the starting problems.

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am probably going to put this thing on craigslist and take the loss. I am looking for a bigger one this year what is sturdy since I plan to expand the garden this year. So any recommendations for a good walk behind tiller that is good sized?

Latest posts