new powermate tiller.... what a letdown

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Try some Sta-bil, which conditions the gasoline to last longer. I filled my tiller's tank bc I meant to do some last minute tilling last November, but time ran out. I put some Stab-bil in the engine, which I've done years before. Next time we have a serious thaw, like last week when DH were on a cruise, I'm gonna take it out and run it. Too cold and my spring/summer/fall yard machines just won't start easily.
SOO glad I have a decent tiller. Every year I use it, and this Christmas my DD got me some great headphones that get FM stations and play MP3's, too. Won't dare work around my horses with headphones on, but I can't hear the radio while I'm tilling, so I'll be a happy tilling and gardening camper in 2013. :D

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another vote for sta-bil. I have a 1985 Troy bilt Horse 2. With regular tune-ups and Sta-bil every winter, it always starts on the first pull.

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Update on the powermate! Took it in to the factory auth dealer for repairs...it got caught in snow out here....so was prepared for the worst. They quoted 160....still cheaper than a new one so I had em do the work. New fuel filter and carburator and it runs like new....actually better than new! Cool thing....turned out was covered by warrantee....so no cost! Yeah!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hooray for warranties!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

...and a big hooray for a working tiller! :throw

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Funny thing is I usually put my garden in around the end of april but didn't because the tiller was still in the shop. Took em over a month..grrrr. but it was a stroke of luck because we had a freak late season frost and many people lost started gardens

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Congrats on getting the tiller going again! Funny how fate works isn't it?

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We finally have a weekend that I can use it....I'm sure I'll be sick of my tiller by Sunday night lol

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Troy Built Pony.
Mine had some problems last season, but the folks that service my mowers cleaned it out last May. It had a lot of dirt in the carborator. Started up first time in April.
Read up on low till and no till gardening. I'm planning on tilling in the FALL and mixing in and covering my beds with compost. The ONE bed that I tilled this Spring cracked--the dirt, that is. The ones that I shoveled in compost are still fluffy and holding moisture. Still, with 5 acres and constant groundwork, I'm glad I own a tiller. After my new horse fencing was put in in 2008, there were numerous ruts along the fences. The guy who farms behind us--NOT the property owner--was kind enough to till a 25 ft. swath on the inside of my 3 acre rectangular pasture. That helped a LOT, but there were still 2 corners with ruts. Couldn't mow it at ALL, and there wasn't much but weeds there. I tilled the larger, and cleaned my horse shelter and filled in the smaller corner. Only one place left to clean up, a small hill in the same pasture, and I intend to till it.

Latest posts