new pup

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, I like old dogs but I've never adopted one. First time in a new home with a new family - it will take patience because he will be confused.

Bonzo has really good English language skills. Just in conversation, she will pick up on what we are talking about. Let's see - dogs probably lose hearing like people. High tones will go. Therefore, he will not hear consonants.

If you call him "Max" - he will hear "aa." Not much to go on there. Could be a lot of words.

"Scooby" would sound to him like "oo-ee." "Phooey" "screwy" "hooey!" If you don't want to call him Scooby - you could name him after one of Donald's nephews: Huey, Dewey, and Louie. Scooby would probably think all of those words must have something to do with his very own self ;).

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hunting mountain lions? Very interesting. I wonder if there is a preferred mixture of breeds for that or something...

I know if I see a mountain lion around here I wouldn't be killing it, they're rare across most of the Appalachians. I have heard that the bears are coming back, haven't seen one yet! My neighbor found an eastern diamondback rattler in his yard. We're at the northern limit of they're range, still rare here though. :(

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Mountain Lion hunting dogs don't do the actual deed of killing the Mountain Lion. A pack of several large hounds "tree" the mountain lion, then make steady yelps to alert the human hunter who has usually a rifle.

That's about all I know about it.
That's about all i know about it too Marshall! We have a fair amount of mountain lion hunters around here, and a fair amount of cats. Actually, compared to other large predator animals, i think their populations are really healthy. And i do know that the dogs AND humans have to be in good shape, cause the cats can run REALLY far before treeing, in super rough terrain. Nothing is flat here, you're either going straight up or straight down!

We would see the dogs occasionally at the animal hospital when i worked there. I remember one large hound in particular, he got bit in the skull by a cat and LIVED. It was crazy to see, this dog walking around and acting normal, with his brain visible!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The way they are currently hunted is with a pack of hounds. It's similar to bear hunting which I'm kind of familiar with. The hunter goes & looks for sign of recent cat activity or common crossing areas & the dogs are turned loose. If they hit a fresh sent the chase is on. If not they move on.

Most bigger hounds are used as well as crosses too. Dogs run till the cat is treed or the dogs run out of stream. Mountain lions are no joke. Upwards of 5.25 feet & weigh in at 130lbs. At that size I'm sure more than a few will turn & fight vs keep running.

Most dogs don't actually dispatch the animal they are hunting. Even the dogs they use to fun hogs will circle & may attack a hog bug it's up to the hunter to dispatch them.

From the times I've gone coyote hunting more than a few times I've found bobcat tracks in the snow around where I was hunting. The technique is to call & they coyotes come in & present a shot. I had bobcats respond to my calling but never saw it them. Snow was fresh so I know the tracks were fresh too. Was a little unnerving but also really exciting too.

Cats are one of those predators that the only way you see them is if they are ok with you seeing them.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a wonderful thing for you to do.... I am sure he will respond to your love and attentions... what a lucky pup!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
taking in an old dog is such a special thing to do. you know his time is short, yet you're willing to invest yourself in his remaining days. I sure take my hat off to you. I thought he looked part great dane. glad he's got you

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
Well...Scooby is a hound mix. My guess is with chocolate lab, he has some striking similarities to our now passed on chocolate lab Max! DH says he'll probably just call him max, which shouldnt phase scooby at all since he cant hear hardly at all!! Scooby was apparently originally owned by a mountain lion hunter, and was trained to kill cats.
This isn't, by any chance, the famous coon-hunting / flock protecting Scooby from BYC is it?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
bj taylor said:
taking in an old dog is such a special thing to do. you know his time is short, yet you're willing to invest yourself in his remaining days. I sure take my hat off to you. I thought he looked part great dane. glad he's got you
Ditto what a big heart you have!!! Might want to talk to your vet about putting him on Metacam, it will help him move better. I think it gave my old dog a extra year.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Canesisters - this pup has been living in a shelter for 5 years, so i doubt anyone would be discussing him on BYC :)

NYboy - metacam is a good idea, we used it a lot at the vet i worked for. Scooby was REALLY stiff this morning, i'm sure he got more exercise yesterday at our house than he has in years and years. The shelter he was at is only staffed for 3 hours in the mornings, then someone fed the dogs in the evenings - so he had much more stimulation and room to walk around, indoors and out, yesterday at our house.

Latest posts