New rabbits

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Imagine my suprise when I logged in to check to see some answers for a question I had - and here these folks were going back and forth at each other. I told them to stop. I won't go back there if there is any more nasty-ness.

I value everyone's opinion, that is why I posted my question on a PUBLIC forum. If I didn't want different opinions, I would just do what I want to do and not bother asking for advise.

Hopefully they get the message.

It made me appriciate these other sites, I lurk in. Especially TEG, everyone here is always so nice. :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
blue skys said:
I did. :D

Though, my third post started a fight. :/ :idunno
A fight over pacifist RABBITS???? what next fighting over marshmellows???

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had to go peek at the fight! You said that plain and nice, to take it elsewhere! LOL

Although, I am not with you on the 'meat' part! LOL I am a fuzzy bunny lover and could never imagine killing a mammal like a rabbit for food. You must be very 'Farmerish' LOL.

You mentioned cuddling them, I wouldn't do that unless you want to be their friend.

I would get them off the screen flooring. It is so bad for their internal functioning. They really prefer to have their feet on the ground or at least the perception of ground under them. Provide them with a kitty tray filled with litter and they will use it. This makes a cleaner environment. Rabbits naturally use a potty tray!

Hold your hand forward of the Rabbit's face. If he comes to you and uses his nose to nudge your hand, that means 'Hello'. If they do not come to your hand simply talk to them and tell them that it is ok, that one day they may want to say 'hello' and you will be ready when they are. Then each time you work with them put your hand down in front of their face...one day they will say 'Hello', then you will have made a breakthrough and from there long discussions of happier days unfolds. Then you find out what they like, and how their day has been. Then they want you to sit for hours, that's it, just sit and let the day wind away.

I love Rabbits. They are so wise! You just have to listen and not offend them, that is all they ask for, a little respect! Then they respect you back!

Ron :bun

here is my Thomas and Ziggy, they are brothers
2dj3xgj.jpg

16iecs0.jpg

here is ziggy as a baby! I loved his violet ears!
30mps2f.jpg

Their favorite is cut apple and grape leaves! They both turned 3 this Fall (sometime around now).

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is cool Ron!

I have been wanting another pet!

I have a lot of questions about them. I like the way they live a natural life style, in the ground .

Would a couple dwarf type be to much for my turtle pen? And would they be okay together? You know cross diseases and such.

Sorry to hijack but I thought this has to do with bunnies so it would be okay.

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Joe,

I don't think bunnies swim well, so the turtle pen might be a bit of a Waterpark ride for them! LOL

Are you out of space that you cannot fit a bunny?

Mine are both neutered, I was told that two males would fight and scar each other up. Bunnies do terrible with cuts; any cut will go septic regardless! Eck!

A bunny cannot take antibiotics, they have a digestion that should never be interrupted. A portion of their poop (a particularly shaped poop) is meant to be re-eaten by the bunny. This is how they replenish the natural fauna in the tummy.

Risk of cysts and infections are reduced by reducing any possible injury risk. Like neutering for calming the aggression.

As for females, a doe, I do know if she gets pregnant later in life (after two years I think) her pelvis is fused and the pregnancy will kill her and the young. So if you get a female, you need to spay or get her through a litter within her first year to year and a half. This way if there is ever a bunny-mistake in the future, she will not risk death!

Then there is population control! So with me I do not need to worry, but it would be an issue if you make the wrong choices!

I like the Lionheads! LOL

lionhead.jpg

I also like this big guy
big-rabbit.jpg

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow Ron I don't want a rabbit that picks on my dogs.
That thing is twice the size of my girls.

I could see the dogs all beat up running inside, I go out and here is this wise guy;

bugs-bunny-forever.jpg

Joe

sunstar

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
Joe,

I don't think bunnies swim well, so the turtle pen might be a bit of a Waterpark ride for them! LOL

Are you out of space that you cannot fit a bunny?

Mine are both neutered, I was told that two males would fight and scar each other up. Bunnies do terrible with cuts; any cut will go septic regardless! Eck!

A bunny cannot take antibiotics, they have a digestion that should never be interrupted. A portion of their poop (a particularly shaped poop) is meant to be re-eaten by the bunny. This is how they replenish the natural fauna in the tummy.

Risk of cysts and infections are reduced by reducing any possible injury risk. Like neutering for calming the aggression.

As for females, a doe, I do know if she gets pregnant later in life (after two years I think) her pelvis is fused and the pregnancy will kill her and the young. So if you get a female, you need to spay or get her through a litter within her first year to year and a half. This way if there is ever a bunny-mistake in the future, she will not risk death!

Then there is population control! So with me I do not need to worry, but it would be an issue if you make the wrong choices!

I like the Lionheads! LOL

http://files.jhuskisson.com/blog/lionhead.jpg

I also like this big guy
http://critteristic.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/big-rabbit.jpg
LOL this is a German Giant, for runner to the Continental and Flemish Giant. ( basically all the same rabbit just different names for different locations.)
Beautiful rabbits and generally friendly and puppyish.
I had one who lived in my garage on the floor in a huge 4'x4' pen.
like most dogs he would sit up and beg on command,
sleep on your lap when brought inside.
chase the dog around the grage just for fun. He was a great rabbit, unfortunately we lost him to Old Age, the hardest part of these big breeds is their life expectancy is shorter than the small pocket bunnys.

To the Original Poster,
New Zelands and Calafornians if not well scocialized as kits can be very stand offish. best thing to do is make friends with them slowly and when kits are born handle them from the day they are born, no the mother will not kill them nor neglect them.
I always advise people with Meat ( utility rabbits) to handle the kits because it is much easiier and less blood loss when it comes time to rehome them or send them to freezer camp.
Rabbit kicks and bites can definately send you to the ER for stitches. luck would have it that there are few infections from rabbit cuts, unlike with dog or cat bites and cuts.
most of all enjoy your new rabbits they can be wonderfull pets even if they are destine to be a dinner sometimes.

blue skys

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
I had to go peek at the fight! You said that plain and nice, to take it elsewhere! LOL

Although, I am not with you on the 'meat' part! LOL I am a fuzzy bunny lover and could never imagine killing a mammal like a rabbit for food. You must be very 'Farmerish' LOL.

You mentioned cuddling them, I wouldn't do that unless you want to be their friend.

I would get them off the screen flooring. It is so bad for their internal functioning. They really prefer to have their feet on the ground or at least the perception of ground under them. Provide them with a kitty tray filled with litter and they will use it. This makes a cleaner environment. Rabbits naturally use a potty tray!

Hold your hand forward of the Rabbit's face. If he comes to you and uses his nose to nudge your hand, that means 'Hello'. If they do not come to your hand simply talk to them and tell them that it is ok, that one day they may want to say 'hello' and you will be ready when they are. Then each time you work with them put your hand down in front of their face...one day they will say 'Hello', then you will have made a breakthrough and from there long discussions of happier days unfolds. Then you find out what they like, and how their day has been. Then they want you to sit for hours, that's it, just sit and let the day wind away.

I love Rabbits. They are so wise! You just have to listen and not offend them, that is all they ask for, a little respect! Then they respect you back!

Ron :bun

here is my Thomas and Ziggy, they are brothers
http://i50.tinypic.com/2dj3xgj.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/16iecs0.jpg

here is ziggy as a baby! I loved his violet ears!
http://i47.tinypic.com/30mps2f.jpg

Their favorite is cut apple and grape leaves! They both turned 3 this Fall (sometime around now).
The two females have both said "hello" (that's so cute!), but not the male, I talk to him and just sit with them. I guess I'm weird, because I love them and are thankful that they will give my family nurishment. So I like to make them as happy as I can, plus they are too cute not to snuggle (but I also snuggle with my meat birds - at least as much as you can snuggle with a rooster). Like Sunstar said, they are still great pets - I will handle their offspring the same way - with love and like you said, respect. That cage is temporary - we are in the midst of building a proper hutch for them all. I also plan on letting them out daily, with supervision, once they are a little more friendly.

Your boys are great, they look very happy in their bunny habitat!!

Oh and :ep to that huge bunny!

Latest posts