New Rabbits

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My daughters got rabbits for Christmas. I am happy about the new source of poo to add to the garden. We have built their hutch over the chicken run and plan to build a compost pile under them. Anyone else have this type of setup? I don't plan on letting the chicks and rabbits interact, but the chicks should keep the pile under the rabbits turned as I add leaves and straw. We have moved the rabbits in, but the chickens are still in their chicken tractor since I still have work to do on their run.

6358_peter.jpg

6358_coco.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the bunnies! They are very cute... I am interested in keeping rabbits with chickens, as well. I have weather constraints that you don't have, but I think it is a combination that can work. Someone on this site has a beautiful rabbit compound setup that is really cool- maybe you can find it, if you do a search...Keep us posted on your progress. There is nothing better than rabbit poop for the garden!!

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks Lesa, we do have better winter conditions for animals than you, but it is in the 20s this morning with wind chills in the teens. I got a little worried about my roosters as I have had some issues in previous years with combs getting frost bite on the tips. I used some straw to block the wind in their chicken tractor. I'll post some pics of the "chicken hutch" in the next few days.

On the rabbits over chicken subject, from my research the chickens love to scratch under the rabbits and pick any bits of spilled food. So far it is amazing how much poo two rabbits generate. Once we are comfortable we may breed our female bunny or purchase a few more.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
;) Congrats jamespm_98 on the bunnies!
They look so cute i'm sure they will make a great addition to the garden.

lesa said:
There is nothing better than rabbit poop for the garden!!
I believe that poultry/bird poop is better for the garden of course composted first then added to soil. Poultry manure is high in phosphorus, which causes plants to flower and produce fruit. The benefit with rabbit poop is that it wont burn plants if not composted so you could probably get away with not composting first.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Exactly- the joy of rabbit poop is that you can apply it directly to your soil. I can't remember how many people have killed their plants with hot chicken poop! Another gardener on this site, says that 2 rabbits really do produce enough waste to benefit his garden... Enjoy!

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I typically just use my chickens in the winter directly in the garden and sheet compost behind the chicken tractor with leaves and straw so it is broken down by spring. I find the chicken poop is well broken down with this method. With the rabbit poo I plan to just use it mainly for compost making, however I may try to use some in the garden as well.

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Catalina said:
Awwwww! They are so cute! :love
How old are they?
Both are little over a year old. The white one is a male dwarf Hotot mix and is full grown at about 3 lbs. The brown one is a female Holland Lop and she is around 3.5 lbs. Both are small breeds. We didn't want big bunnies. I have never had rabbits, but I really like them, both of ours are gentle.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you have a male and female rabbit? Then you would have even more rabbit poo for the garden ;) .

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes we have a male and a female. We have already discussed with my daughters they cannot visit. ;) Both my girls are teenagers so they get it, but we don't want any accidents.:/ We may get another lop rabbit and breed them, but that is down the road.

Latest posts