New raspberry bush

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
New raspberry bush (probably from Gurney's, it must have been on sale. :D ) I was going to put it in a pot and baby it through this first summer, but when I unwrapped it, the roots were three feet long! I've been watching the cane for signs of growth, but today I noticed it's sprouting all along the one big root that it had.

AIUI, raspberries fruit on this year's canes, so maybe we will get a handful or two this summer.

120314_6372 by wsmoak, on Flickr

-Wendy

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
New raspberry bush (probably from Gurney's, it must have been on sale. :D ) I was going to put it in a pot and baby it through this first summer, but when I unwrapped it, the roots were three feet long! I've been watching the cane for signs of growth, but today I noticed it's sprouting all along the one big root that it had.

AIUI, raspberries fruit on this year's canes, so maybe we will get a handful or two this summer.

[url]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7069/6837325566_c691bdc732_o.jpg[/url]
120314_6372 by wsmoak, on Flickr

-Wendy
The only raspberries that I have ever grown fruit on the 2nd year canes. They also spread just as you described and can actually become invasive. However that takes a long time.
You can prune the canes later and stick them in the ground for more cuttings.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The raspberry plant look nice wsmoak!!
I just pruned my raspberry bush last week, they sure do sprout up everywhere underground.

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Most of my raspberries bare in spring on last years cane and in fall on new canes that come up in spring. So, two harvests with the raspberries!

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My raspberries are now 3 year old. I will finally get enough to make a pie this year! We got one quart of berries last year from my canes. I started with 3, now there are about 12.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
retiredwith4acres said:
Most of my raspberries bare in spring on last years cane and in fall on new canes that come up in spring. So, two harvests with the raspberries!
Mine are the same way... 2 year cane produces a small spring harvest... new growth has a heavy fall harvest (Those are mainly southern in nature). I just have to cover them or the mocking birds and wasps get them all first! (Or the neighborhood kids!!!) :lol:

Latest posts