new to compost

ksct

Sprout
Reaction score
my chickens are in a run so they won't be able to get to it.
I was thinking about making the 'heap' (haha) within a 3 sided structure of some sort. I just wasn't sure what the best material for ventilation etc I should use. I THINK i'd like to use something other than wire, but I also dont' want an eye sore in the yard somewhere. If I do it over in the hedgerow of the woods, I think it will be hardly noticeable.

I also read it has to stay at least a little moist..... how do I know?

wow, i think i'm putting too much thought into this but I don't want to have to 'redo' - once we've started.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and patience!
I really appreciate it!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
All these details really depend on what you intend to use compost for. I love chicken poop for the garden...But, I have a pile for kitchen scraps and garden waste that I never use. I just pile it up and like magic it composts itself. I have this, just to save on landfill. Hate to throw anything away that can rot in the pile! I wouldn't sweat this too much- give composting a try and see what it can do for you...

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ksct said:
my chickens are in a run so they won't be able to get to it.
I was thinking about making the 'heap' (haha) within a 3 sided structure of some sort. I just wasn't sure what the best material for ventilation etc I should use. I THINK i'd like to use something other than wire, but I also dont' want an eye sore in the yard somewhere. If I do it over in the hedgerow of the woods, I think it will be hardly noticeable.

I also read it has to stay at least a little moist..... how do I know?

wow, i think i'm putting too much thought into this but I don't want to have to 'redo' - once we've started.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and patience!
I really appreciate it!
I made mine by just dry stacking concrete blocks in a three sided enclosure. Actually one side was an already existing concrete wall. Since they aren't cemented together you can move them around to accomodate the changing size of a compost heap. They absorb a certain amount of moisture and help keep the compost from drying out. By leaving the front open I can easily turn the pile.

THE MONSTER (Did someone just say,"Feed me Seymour?)
6858_001.jpg