New to Composting and tips would help please

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have noticed that Amazon ships in cardboard that uses black ink only. It is the colored and shiny ink that you need to worry about. I can see that your worms discard the plastics, basically spit them out, blech! Other good cardboard boxes are found at the liquor stores bc they put them out as grocery bags of sort for customers to help get rid of them since glass bottles are shipped in them. They don't need any more labels that the distillery/winery and product name, no flashy and shiny inks.
I have been pulling off the tape that keeps the boxes together that I am using under my fencelines. I try to prep the next area before I am ready to dump there, although where I just dumped soiled bedding last year almost no burdock came up.
I HIGHLY recommend cardboard for smothering. Found some 2nd year burdock coming up and now smothered. They look innocuous, kinda like kale:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=kzPlosoP&id=293B27BEB8483361DD2FAB0CC5ED00F145A00B9F&thid=OIP.kzPlosoP0ipjpHzXLrgHKgHaEK&mediaurl=http://www.herbalremediesadvice.org/images/xBurdock-Leaves.jpg.pagespeed.ic.kzPlosoP0i.jpg&exph=319&expw=567&q=burdock,+images&simid=608041206661841152&selectedIndex=29&ajaxhist=0
but they die down after the first year and still can have 12 inch roots, so you cannot pull them out like chickweed.
Didn't mean to highjack the thread.

i now reject everything with a shiny finish and put that in recycling at the curb. a little bit of colored ink is unlikely to be a major issue, but over many years if it is some type of strange metal compound or whatever is being used to get that color i sure don't want it to build up in garden soil. black ink i don't worry about, likely carbon only.

i tend to use newspapers like i use cardboard, in layers to smother things or i put it down under cardboard for a second layer to smother. it's gone after a year or two. i used to shred it, but the shredder doesn't like too much of it all at once so i just use it whole instead. i don't like using it in the worm bins because it smells when it gets wet.

the problem with the plastic coating is that i shred the stuff so it turns from one piece into thousands and i didn't always catch it and only found it later after all the paper had been digested off it and i'm left with little strips of plastic in the worm bins. they do not ingest it.

now, a funny thing i noticed. worms will suck the inks off pictures like seed or flower catalogs. maybe it tastes like a salt or spice to them? dunno.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's raining, my compost pile is getting watered. LOL I currently have Cornish Cross chicks in a black tub on the porch. A neighbor is making me shavings from scrap pieces of wood I have laying around. I scrape the tub every morning and an making a pile in the garden of the shavings and poop. It is getting watered now!

Latest posts