New to growing tomatillos, have a question

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I discovered this last spring that the longer I have something that I started indoors, the more abundant harvest I will get from the plant itself.

There's gotta be something about starting the plants really a little earlier than you want them so they are fully mature and healthy. Our early plants did much better this year than our late-spring plantings.

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
I discovered this last spring that the longer I have something that I started indoors, the more abundant harvest I will get from the plant itself.

There's gotta be something about starting the plants really a little earlier than you want them so they are fully mature and healthy. Our early plants did much better this year than our late-spring plantings.
Yeah, the longer a plant has the better off it'll be though at some point keeping it indoors provides less light and becomes a matter of space, maintenance or even the power bill (when sunlight is free).
'
Might depend on zone too, I find that I make little incremental gains starting plants earlier but ultimately, a week outside with good weather is worth at least 2 or 3 weeks inside.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Little tomatillo husks started showing up on all 3 of my plants yesterday. :)

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
grow_my_own said:
We love chile verde, and I'm learning to can and make my own sauces this year. Tomatillos are the primary ingredient in salsa verde. I would rather have too many than not enough, since I'm just learning to can... allowing myself something of a margin for error, a bit of a "learning curve", so to speak. Of course, I'm HOPING I do it right the first time out the gate. I am planning carefully, going over my Ball Blue Book with a fine toothed comb, assembling everything I am going to need MONTHS ahead of time. I want to can tomatoes, make my own tomato sauce, enchilada sauce, green sauce, jams, jellies, etc. I am deciding what I am going to make out of what I'm growing, then creating a "plan B" if a particular item I'm growing fails due to pests or whatever. I've been planning to do this for years & finally have all my equipment and am making it happen. So I will have plenty of use for those tomatillos.
will you please post your recipe?

Latest posts