New to Hen N Chicks

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I got mine for a good price, so at least they are taking up space that weeds want! I am a big clearance plant buyer and I noticed some beautiful roses at Walmart, EXCEPT they were marked for zone 10...and we have become zone 4/5 recently. Why do they think anybody wants a rose as an annual?!?
I know they can live inside. I've bought mini roses in November and kept them going in front of my basement windows, then put them in the ground the next Spring. DD's are both job hunting and intend to live closeby and move next year, soooooo....I bought about a dozen geraniums that are, right now, in my vegetable beds and blooming, and I'll use my little 4 rack greenhouse this winter in front of one of the three second story windows to keep them going for them until next year. I even bought this beautiful pale blue that fades to cream ceramic pot, which I think holds about 6-7 gallons of soil, and I have a pinkish-lavender full sized rose for them, which I'll put in one of my first story bedroom windows this winter.
I bought a greenish-white rose this year and I hope it survives the winter. We've had so much rain this year that everything is lush and I hope has sent down some good roots.
I suppose if I'm worried about the hen-n-chicks or the others, I could mulch them in November.

Latest posts