New to herb gowing--help

Tobyshuman

Sprout
Reaction score
I am new to herb growing this year so I have a question about dill. when do I harvest the herb? I am clueless. I am also planting basil today. Any help there would also be welcome,also.

Thanks in advance.

Diane

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You could just use the dill as it grows, i dont think their is a certain height you have to wait untill harvest. I just use it when i need it, of course if the plant's small maybe wait till it gets a little bigger than use it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Herbs are great! You will love them- You harvest dill, depending on what you want to use it for. As it begins to grow, you can harvest the little leaves, for flavor (potato salad, salmon, etc.) When the dill flowers, you use it for pickles, etc. It does self-sow a bit. Basil is a no brainer- when the plant has a few extra leaves, clip them and use them. I love basil!! There is nothing like fresh basil from the garden...If you harvest a few leaves from each plant, at a time, the plant will last the season. Enjoy! I am in zone 4, basil is an annual for me.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG, Diane :frow!

You have chosen a couple of easy herbs to start with. Actually, all herbs are pretty easy. After all, it's not as if they are real food plants . . . culinary herbs are for fun!

Dill grows quickly, makes seeds, drops seeds, and it's gone. Often, you are just starting to make plans for its use and . . . it's gone. For pickles, the dill is often gone before the cucumbers show up . . . !

If you are hoping to use the dill for pickles, you can cut it as it begins to set seed, rinse it off, and hang it somewhere airy but out of the sun to dry. I bet it would work to freeze instead of drying but I've not tried that. After the dill is thoroughly dry, it can be bagged for later use - like when you actually have the cucumbers :).

Basil leaves can be harvested as Lesa said but you can also use the flower buds. In fact, you really, really want to use the flower buds. Not only are they the most flavorful part of the plant but leaving them on the plant will bring the basil to the seed-producing stage and its season will wind down to a close. As long as you keep picking the flower buds off, the plant should keep producing more leaves . . . and flowers :).

It will go right up until the cold weather hits. Basil doesn't like the cold . . .

Steve

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

:welcome

I had problems with my dill going to seed almost immediately UNTIL I tried DUKAT DILL!! :D

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/dill-dukat

http://static.naturehills.com/dilldukat/

I had much better luck with it & it doesn't get so tall so isn't blown apart by the wind. You can also grow this one in pots.
I use mine to make "Gravad Lax" (Scandinavian Pickled Salmon, eaten like Smoked Salmon). But I will post that recipe separately. :lol:

Hope this helps. :happy_flower

:rose Hattie :rose

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking my herb question on your post Tobyshuman, but I didn't want to start a new thread for the same basic question.

I am growing French Tarragon and parsley as well as Dill and Basil. Can the Tarragon and Parsley be picked in the same manner as the other 2? I don't want to ruin the plant, but if it only gives me a small ammount, I want to start to dry it so I don't lose any of it. Thanks!

ETA: Welcome! The people here are so helpful and friendly. I'm sure you'll love it here!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Both Parsley & Tarragon should be used fresh, straight from the plant. THAT WAY YOU WILL GET THE REAL FLAVOUR not the musty woody taste of the dried. However Parsley freezes very well if you are going to use in a cooked dish. I have never tried freezing Tarragon but I should think that would be the same.

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
Both Parsley & Tarragon should be used fresh, straight from the plant. THAT WAY YOU WILL GET THE REAL FLAVOUR not the musty woody taste of the dried. However Parsley freezes very well if you are going to use in a cooked dish. I have never tried freezing Tarragon but I should think that would be the same.

Thanks Hattie. :) But does it keep growing or will it be a one time pick?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They keep growing. Assuming you don't pick so much as to kill the plant of course :p

Tarragon is a perennial; parsley is a biennial that will bolt the second summer and then die.

Have fun,

Pat

GardenGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
They keep growing. Assuming you don't pick so much as to kill the plant of course :p

Tarragon is a perennial; parsley is a biennial that will bolt the second summer and then die.

Have fun,

Pat
Thanks!! :happy_flower

Latest posts