New to the Forum from NH

vnsseed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello all,
My family and I have a "micro farm" (about 2 acres cleared) here in Southern NH. We plant only heirloom varieties of vegetables and use no chemicals or pesticides on our property. We save seed and are working towards creating a sustainable food plan for our property. We also raise heritage poultry and plan on adding mini Dexters (cow's) to our little plot of land next year. We are looking forward to networking with local folks here and invite anyone to stop by our Farm Stand this Spring! Thanks! :)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vnsseed, welcome to TEG. Sounds like you are growing a large garden, so looking forward to hearing more about your gardens.

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Welcome, vnsseed! :frow

I guess I'm an ex-neighbor; I lived 18 years in VT. :D

vnsseed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Collector said:
Vnsseed, welcome to TEG. Sounds like you are growing a large garden, so looking forward to hearing more about your gardens.
Our main garden is about 4000 sq ft, and we have three 10x20 raised beds and are adding three more this year. We are also adding an 8x8 raised bed for our 2 boys.... last year my oldest son (6) said he wanted to have his own garden, so he dug up an area on our land by himself and I gave him seed that he "planted"... well wouldn't you know he actually ended up with some really nice tom thumb popcorn and some West Indian Gerkins! So now I am going to put together a raised bed for the two of them to garden on their own... they still help mom and dad with the main gardens, but this gives them a little taste of their own garden. My oldest also wants to raise his own flock of chickens this year and I told him if he helped me with ALL the chores for the family flock (around 40) this Spring, we would talk about him getting his own "flock" for showing at the local Ag fairs.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a wonderful setup!! I love those mini-cows. What will you use them for? Can you milk them? How cool that your boys are interested in gardening. Good for you! Welcome! Welcome!

vnsseed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
lesa said:
Sounds like a wonderful setup!! I love those mini-cows. What will you use them for? Can you milk them? How cool that your boys are interested in gardening. Good for you! Welcome! Welcome!
The Dexters are a dual purpose breed, as are our heritage poultry breeds, and they will be used as such, milk and beef.

Thanks.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:welcome
Looking forward to hearing more about your endeavors! We are "micro-farming" too. My DH loves those dexters, but we honestly have no place to put one. :p

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
vnsseed said:
lesa said:
The Dexters are a dual purpose breed, as are our heritage poultry breeds, and they will be used as such, milk and beef.

Thanks.
I've heard the Dexter gene pool is so small that there are inbreeding problems. Have you had any trouble along those lines?

Latest posts