New to the group, wanted to say Hi

Miss_Nessa

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi all, My name is Vanessa and I live in Colorado now.
Ive been here 3 years as of this July and this spring will be my 3rd year planting my garden. I have 3 10x4 raised beds behind my family owned Motel that manage and live at.
I like growing odd colored vegetables, and different things. My 1st year it was Blue pumpkins, black watermelons, and strawberry blonde sunflowers. The 2nd year, White pumpkins, goji berries, and ruby corn. Ive had many more items in the beds along with the odd one's but I just like the strange things best I guess, hehe. This year I'm debating on adding another bed, a drip watering system, or a removable fence (since things have been stolen from my garden each season so far, and a permanent fence would require a permit)

Well Im gonna cruise the forum a while, I'm sure you'll see me around asking questions and what not.

O and in case you were wondering, this year the strange items Im planning on growing are Red pumpkins, Strawberry popcorn, Purple asparagus, and blue potato's. I might even add some purple carrot's but would have to increase the depth of my bed for those so Im still debating..

I would include a picture of my strawberry blond sunflowers and I that got put in the local paper last year, but im apparently too new to the group.(edit: wait, wait, I may have figured it out, dang maybe not..lol) I uploaded a pic but dont know where It went apparently! Haha

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Miss_Nessa! You will enjoy this site. It has some wonderful people with lots of knowledge and experience who love to share it with others. Glad you are the adventurous type with your garden. Me..I just stick to the good ole boring stuff! :D

Mary

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:tools Howdy neighbor :D

I like unique stuff too. I have been looking at that strawberry popcorn. It is SO CUTE! I am going to be growing purple sweet potatoes this year too.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Miss_nessa, Welcome to TEG. I enjoy the odd or different colored veggies also, it adds charactor to your garden. Hope to see you around!
PS You need to figure out how to upload pics so we can see your strange veggies!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Nessa! :frow
I used to grow strawberry popcorn all the time when my boys were younger. They loved popping it and it was a fun thing for them to grow.I'll be growing Purple Dragon carrots too as I received a free packet with my seed order :p . Oh and white pumpkins made the best pies! Would love to see your blonde sunflowers. I like to grow different sunflowers too! I've never seen a black watermelon, how was the flavor?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome! This is a fun place to be - especially in the winter!!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:welcome !

Hope you'll have some pics to share this summer, we love garden pics! Sounds like you have a lot of fun with your garden.

I've been looking at the strawberry popcorn for this year too. And gotta have sunflowers...lots and lots of different ones. They are so cool and cheerful. I'm going to grow several different odd varieties of pumpkins and gourds this year and sell them roadside. People are really impressed with the variety in garden vegetables that they never knew existed before.

Have fun! :)

Latest posts