new!!

Aryn and Kim Page

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Never let them into my garden by themselves they would be in there with me and if I noticed they're starting to be destructive I'll put them back in their run. I didn't realize that they could be so destructive thank you for letting me know.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The chicken forum has been downs for a few days. They are switching over to a new format, the same one this forum runs on, but it's taken longer than planned. I bet Nifty is tearing his hair out.

Chickens love to at about anything as it is sprouting, they can do a lot of damage as things are coming up. They love to eat a lot of garden things at any time, greens especially. They will generally leave some things alone, like tomato plants. Tomato plants taste really bitter. But they love pecking at ripe tomatoes, ripe peppers, lots of things.

They also scratch. The will dig your plants up for you by their scratching. They really love to scratch in mulch, they will scatter that everywhere. They'll do the same thing to your landscaping beds, scattering mulch everywhere. There are so many yummy creepy crawlies in that mulch they just can't help themselves.

Go ahead and try it, see how it works for you. Some people are able to manage it, but odds are if the chickens and garden are anywhere close together, you'll wind up fencing them out of your garden, either with a garden fence or keeping them in a run.

Aryn and Kim Page

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Nyboy I joined BYC just week I love it!! Are you a member? Is BYC back up?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you everybody for the warm welcome feel free to p.m. me if you'd like. Well to start off I want to grow both vegetables flowers and herbs my chicken that I'm getting this month will be newly hatched but their chicken coop will be right next to my garden so I'm going to have a gate to open up so they can go into the garden to eat bugs when they are older and I move them outside. Chickens love to eat fresh herbs, vegetables and fruit. I am in Oregon so the last frost is May 15th so that's when I'm going to start planting so far I'm going to do sunflowers, corn, spinach, lettuce, cucumbers, different kinds of melons such as watermelon, honeydew and cantaloupe and I was also thinking about doing some pumpkin because it's a natural dewormer for my chicken. I was also going to do lavender because I can make lotions with it and my chickens would love to eat it and I'll make them less stress which means more eggs which means more eggshells for my garden and it will make their coop smell good the other herbs I'm going to do is mint, oregano, parsley and possibly some garlic. I have a very big area I can also expand it if I want to. Thank you so much again for the warm welcome.
If this is your first garden I suggest you start small and make it bigger each year. Plantiing is easy -weeding is forever.

Aryn and Kim Page

Leafing Out
Reaction score
We going to do a small one but we pick adding things lol. Your right wedding is forever.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I let my chickens in the garden AFTER the garden season is over, never during! Welcome to the forum! You can give the chickens garden trimmings, they will love it!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did let a select few chickens into my garden the day I found Colorado potato bugs had hatched. They politely eradicated the bugs and then left. I was happy to have had the help.

Latest posts