1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Show us your Tomatoes!
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

new!!

Discussion in 'About Me & My Garden' started by Aryn and Kim Page, May 12, 2017.

1. May 16, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

yes a member but don't have chickens anymore, so don't post there. A word of warning raccoons have the strength of a little bear, and will kill every bird they can.

2. May 16, 2017
    catjac1975

catjac1975 Garden Master

They will eat everything. I let my chickens in the garden in the fall when the garden is finished. They are in there all winter until the first plants are put out. I am an organic gardener and rarely have to use any organic sprays to help my plants. I attribute it to my chickens eating the larvae of pests.

Nyboy likes this.
  3. May 16, 2017
    moxies_chickienuggets

moxies_chickienuggets Deeply Rooted

Welcome! I would suggest a compost pile.....and most anything you toss from the garden can go to the chickens first. I only put tea bags, potato and onion stuff, in the compost. And ALL of the coop mess off of the coop floor.

4. May 24, 2017
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

Welcome, I'm sure you will be as addicted to gardening as we are. There is always something to learn and discover.

Mary

5. May 25, 2017
    Chickie'sMomaInNH

Chickie'sMomaInNH Garden Addicted

i let the chickens into my garden area before i do my planting so they can get any bugs or weeds & help till some of the ground before i go to town on tilling. this year going to work on a few raised beds since i have to rebuild the run & door. the other time in the garden is when it is old enough to withstand the chickens damaging plants. they wreak havoc on pepper plants no matter what stage they are in. never been sure why they chose this plant. they will go for lettuce & any brassica too, so recommend putting these under some cover (cages) the chickens can't get to. they will try to nibble on the tomatoes but the hair will keep them from trying after awhile.

once things are planted & trying to grow is when i only let a select few out & watch them closely. usually my oldest girls that stick close by when i'm working the weeds & picking bugs. when i let the rest in the garden will usually be around mid to end of July.

i'm a former BYC member. haven't been on there in some time since it is such a busy place & sometimes you just don't get the best advise or too much criticism. not sure if that has changed since i was last on there.

6. May 25, 2017
    Nyboy

Nyboy Garden Master

Chickie @seedcorn just said same thing in another thread, his rooster will not leave pepper plants alone.