new!!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never let them into my garden by themselves they would be in there with me and if I noticed they're starting to be destructive I'll put them back in their run. I didn't realize that they could be so destructive thank you for letting me know.
They will eat everything. I let my chickens in the garden in the fall when the garden is finished. They are in there all winter until the first plants are put out. I am an organic gardener and rarely have to use any organic sprays to help my plants. I attribute it to my chickens eating the larvae of pests.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Welcome! I would suggest a compost pile.....and most anything you toss from the garden can go to the chickens first. I only put tea bags, potato and onion stuff, in the compost. And ALL of the coop mess off of the coop floor.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, I'm sure you will be as addicted to gardening as we are. There is always something to learn and discover.

Mary

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i let the chickens into my garden area before i do my planting so they can get any bugs or weeds & help till some of the ground before i go to town on tilling. this year going to work on a few raised beds since i have to rebuild the run & door. the other time in the garden is when it is old enough to withstand the chickens damaging plants. they wreak havoc on pepper plants no matter what stage they are in. never been sure why they chose this plant. they will go for lettuce & any brassica too, so recommend putting these under some cover (cages) the chickens can't get to. they will try to nibble on the tomatoes but the hair will keep them from trying after awhile.

once things are planted & trying to grow is when i only let a select few out & watch them closely. usually my oldest girls that stick close by when i'm working the weeds & picking bugs. when i let the rest in the garden will usually be around mid to end of July.

i'm a former BYC member. haven't been on there in some time since it is such a busy place & sometimes you just don't get the best advise or too much criticism. not sure if that has changed since i was last on there.

Latest posts