newbie from Georgia

dandelionchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi everybody my name is Amy and I live in NE Georgia. I'm so glad I've found this site, its been a very challenging year in the garden but I'm looking forward to my winter garden and hoping next year is better. Any other winter tunnel/coldframe gardeners here? :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
dandelionchick said:
Hi everybody my name is Amy and I live in NE Georgia. I'm so glad I've found this site, its been a very challenging year in the garden but I'm looking forward to my winter garden and hoping next year is better. Any other winter tunnel/coldframe gardeners here? :)
Welcome Amy. Glad to have you here. I find everyone so helpful and friendly. I can not help with this question, but know someone will. :) Happy Gardening.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome to the forum! :weee Glad you joined us. :frow

As you can see on this thread

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35305

we are from all over, though we are a fairly small community of friends. Always glad to meet another.

I personally dont use those techniques but Id bet some of the others do. So go modify your profile to show where you are from and a bit about you, prop your feet up, and meet some good people.
And once again, :frow

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi! We're practically on opposite sides of the country so dont listen to any gardening advice from me, haha!

I'm practically a beginner to using my greenhouse, it helps me get started a little earlier in the spring, so maybe i can get a ripe tomato or two. Search for greenhouse on this page and you'll find some threads and pics of different members greenhouses.

dandelionchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Love that thread and visited the map. That's a nice map. I zoomed in and found myself! :lol:
I'm not all that great with computers yet, I'll get back to that. LOL

I've been gardening for many years. I just love to garden inside, outside, don't matter. It just depends on the season. Right now I'm cranking up my frames (grow tunnels) for the winter and there are actually plants in there!!! LOL My garden was an absolute mess this year! It started with tons of rain and cool temps which the sow bugs and slugs loved. The plants failed to thrive in the cool temps and excessive rain so were devoured by every passing pest. Soooo I found this site today (YAY! :D ) and among the info I've been digging for is improving soil. We live on top of a hill and the soil was awful. I've been adding rabbit and goat manure for the past 4 years and it has improved. I haven't ever tested it but I going to soon and see where I stand.

My other hobbies are vermicomposting and hanging out with my goats, rabbits, dogs and cats. My daughter also has chickens and turkeys. We keep the earthworms very busy, especially in winter. LOL
I love houseplants but don't have many only a rare philodendron, Baby's Tears (Pilea Depressa) and I hoping to add a Streptocarpus (Cape Primrose) sometime soon if I can find one.
And as my name implies, I love and cultivate Dandelions. Good food for me and the critters! :)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ah, cool about the dandelions :) we had a thread not too long ago about edible weeds, and much discussion about dandelions!! Have you ever made dandelion jelly?? Its my absolute favorite, like honey. We also feed them to our lizard, a uromastyx, he LOVES them.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dandelionchick, Welcome! With our mild winters here we don't use cold frames. I can grow something pretty much all year round.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
dandelionchick said:
. . . And as my name implies, I love and cultivate Dandelions. Good food for me and the critters! :)
welcome-1.gif
, Dandylionchick!

I have roasted, ground and used dandelion roots as a coffee substitute :). Eaten a few greens, too.

Have you met Hoodat?? No, not yet? He will be along. Look for him in the user list - yeah, "Hoodat." He had a recent thread about getting his garden plants ready to go out in a few days. You see, he is in San Diego, a little south of Mary! I don't know that he needs any protective growing either but he makes good use of dandelions :p.

A gardener is newly moved to your state, HunkieDorie23. You might see her out walking her dog or at the diner, or somewhere ;). She didn't have a garden this year because of the move. StupidBird is in Georgia (I just call her 'Bird :).) I bet she will be along soon. Wsmoak is "A little north of Columbus, GA." She has a new "sunshed" type greenhouse. There are other Southerners, too!

Yeah but, we are all over the map and many of us in much colder climates. Like Heather, I use a greenhouse to get things started in the spring. I've got some bok choy in there now that should be ready to harvest any day :cool:.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, dandelionchick! Nice to meet you. Do you do your vermiculture inside or outside? I had some indoor tubs, in my basement, but I had a hard time remembering to keep them damp enough. And they were able to crawl out the airholes, so I would find a lot of dried up worms plastered to my basement floor. The last time I checked my remaining tub, it just had sowbugs in it. They are hard to kill off, both by drying out or starving.
I am raising mealworms now, for my chickens. Those little worms are very hardy!
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you will have a lot to contribute. We all learn from each other.

dandelionchick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm so glad there are other Dandelion lovers in the world! I was beginning to think me and a friend of mine were the only ones left! LOL Oow Dandelion jelly? Hmmm I'll have to try that! :p I've always wanted to make some Dandelion wine but I never have enough plants to produce enough flowers. One of my garden issue is VOLES. They invade every spring while the soil is soft and just wreak havoc on my plants. They take entire plants away!! Lil pigs! :( I'll have to find that thread, it sounds like a good read! :)

NwMtGardener Uromastyx are so neat! We have a Red Footed Tortoise. :)

Mary I'm so jealous! Winter is just getting started here. LOL We can get cold snaps down to zero but generally I'm in zone 7

Steve Wow I'll look forward to meeting everyone! :)

So lucky My wormbeds are outside. I tried keeping some inside during the winter but they didn't do as well so now I keep them in beds outside and they do great right through the winter here. Mine did the same thing yours did, they'd go up the sides and out under the lid but outside I never have that issue. I cover my beds with cardboard and plastic so it won't get to wet and they seem happy.
OMG Those sowbugs are incredible critters! I unfortunately have the ones that eat plants!!! There are tons of them here. I keep 2 liter bottles and cut collars for the plants they like to eat. They seem to like all my favorites! LOL They love swiss chard! :lol: I found a recipe recently that is supposed to smother them but haven't tried it yet. they've disappeared for the winter.
Oh we love to spoil our chickens with mealworms! LOL But now instead of mealworms we raise kingworms or sometimes called superworms. They are bigger than the mealies and the chickens love them!! They are easy to raise to but require more space than mealworms do. That's the only down side to them My DD teaches her chickens to come when called with kingworms, that way if she's at work and somebody gets out, I can put them back easily. We have coyotes here and this property is surrounded by woods. Wouldn't want our chickies to end up dinner! :)

Latest posts