Newbie from North Central Texas

animalmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've lurked occasionally in the past and post mostly on BackYardHerds under the same name animalmom.

I've heard of having a "green thumb," and the Good Lord knows my mother could plant a popsicle stick and get it to bloom. Me on the other hand not so much so I'm hoping to pick up some tips to help my one, lone houseplant survive. The outside garden is doing well it just doesn't seem like I can get anything to thrive indoors.

Besides the outside garden I have goats, rabbits, chickens, geese, dogs and two very old house cats.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
How-dy, @animalmom! :welcome I'm glad you've decided to leave the shadows of lurkhood and step into the gardening sunshine. I'm not sure I can help you with your inside plant. I am in the habit of forgetting water so the few houseplants I do have (I live in a woods so I have no sunshine inside the house for the plants) are only the toughest of the tough or love me so much they persevere despite the treatment they get from me.

It sounds as if you have a bit of acreage to play with there in TX. I told DH I would sell my soul for 40 acres and water. He kept my soul safe. We have 30 acres and a small pond.

There are several other members from Texas that will better understand your growing conditions and options. Me? I am stuck in the frozen North for the greater part of each year. The rest of the year I am in heaven on Earth with my precious DH, Family, animals, and land.

Glad to have you growing with us!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi animalmom. Welcome to our group. I don't grow any house plants either. I prefer growing things outside. I would suggest re-potting with fresh soil and then fertilizing once a month. Be careful you don't over water.

Mary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Welcome! Now you have given me visions of planting popsicle sticks and harvesting posicles! House plants can be downright fussy...How about trying an easy spider plant to start with. Pretty sure you can't kill them, even if you try!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow@animalmom :welcome from eastern IA where the Mississippi runs east to west! Does your name imply lots of animals there? IF so what do you have?

Latest posts