Newbie from Oklahoma

KHaws

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I am Kelly, obviously from Oklahoma. I am married, we have 4 children between us, 2 girls and 2 boys all under 9. We currently have 4 fur babies, 1yr old great pyrenees mix, 2 rotten cats, and then we just acquired my best friends 9yr old rat terrier mix because she can no longer have him. My DH and I are studying to become LADC (licensed alcohol and drug counselors) so we can help at risk youth. I am also looking into other forms of psychology to help children with spectrum disorders.

I have no clue where to begin with gardening, but my DH and I have decided that we want to garden to become more self-sufficient, it is also something we like talking about, and we have time for, just not sure where to begin. we are not even sure how to start a garden bed. we would also like to stay Non-GMO, and as close to organic as possible.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Hi, neighbor. :clap Glad you found us. :frow

There are so many different ways you could go with starting a garden. It's getting a little late for you to start some things, but it's usually best to start small and not overwhelm yourself to start with. That's an easy way to pure frustration and quitting.

What kinds of things do you want to grow? Are you thinking about a raised bed or what some may think of a more traditional garden where you plant it directly in the ground? There are other techniques too. I think someone on this forum can cover you whichever way you want to go, even hydroponic.

I think your biggest problem this time of year, other than deciding how you want to go forward, will be to prep the ground. I don't do much raised bed gardening but there are some real experts on here. I think that may be a good way for you to start. Think maybe a few tomatoes, sweet or hot peppers, and eggplant just to get your feet wet. Zinnias and marigolds wouldn't help you much on being self-sufficient but they sure are pretty.

We also talk chicken. And if you stick around, we'll have you composting.

I think you'll find us a fairly small friendly group that joke around a bunch, especially in the off-season, but even @baymule gets serious when it comes to gardening. @Kassaundra is probably closer to you than I am.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
HELLO Kelly, You have come to the right place. :) Every one is helpful and FUN. Good advice from Ridgerunner. Stop by often and join in the fun. Ask questions. Explore. Post photos. And learn along with us. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well a big Texas HOWDY!! So glad that you found us. It is getting hot now, but you can still grow a few things to get your feet wet, so to speak. Go buy already started plants, tomatoes, peppers and squash. These are easy and will get you started. Then we will help you get into composting, probably a few chickens and starting plants from seed.

To plant your new purchased vegetable plants..... dig up a small area (I use a shovel as my garden is in beds) Be sure to pull all the grass and weeds out that you can. plant the vegetables and water in real good. We will be glad to help you all we can. Don't be afraid to ask what you think might be a dumb question. If you don't know, you don't know. We are a motley bunch, but someone here will have the answers for you.

Then we will get you into putting up the fruits of your labors in the freezer, dehydrating, canning in jars and maybe making pickles too!

As @Ridgerunner said, I'm a joker, but I love gardening and I love to help others dig in and learn how to grow their own food.

KHaws

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I actually found this forum from the BackyardChicken forum. My DH and I were going to get chickens this past spring, but decided to hold off due to some things came up. But we are still wanting to do chickens, as well as rabbits for meat. We actually just started a compost, it is pretty small at the moment. and I started digging out an area of the yard to do a worm garden, currently I have about 50 in a container in my closet, with dirt-grass-eggshells and not sure what else. I wanted to do a worm garden for my DH and kiddos, because we have a pond, it is much cheaper and faster to do a worm garden and the kids think it is a blast, than it is to go buy worms every time you want to go fishing.

I would love to learn how to can things. I've wanted to know for a long time. but I have had no one to teach me, and I'm afraid of making someone real sick if i do it wrong. I was born in the wrong era. I love the idea of being self-sufficient, canning, chickens for eggs/meat, rabbits, composting and gardening. My husband is a "country" boy. he is rough and tumble, loves the outdoors, but has never had to grow anything or raise anything to eat (neither have I). My DH was talking about doing a winter garden since it is already late in the season. but I' have no clue where to begin with that, or even what to plant for one. Thank you for all the help everyone, and all the help I am sure I will need.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Kelly, and Welcome. What growing zone are you in? If there are still vegetable plants to be purchased around, I would advise to get a few, just to have something for this year. If nothing else, you can plant tomatoes and peppers in big pots. You should still have time for several different veggies. Unless you are in southern OK where you may be in the midst of summer heat/drought by now.
How much land do you have to work with? You can do plenty on a small urban lot, but if you have acreage, you have no limits but your own energy!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
:frow Kelly and :welcome from a fellow Okie.

I agree w/ what everyone has said, start small, what is manageable. It is getting a little late now, but you still could do some things, Okra, sweet potatoes, pepper, maybe a short seasoned already started tomato, melon, cuke or squash could be started now from seed even, but your window for this year is getting pretty short.

I also say plant what your family loves. Gardening and putting the food up is real work, it will be much more pleasant if it is food you really love already. You can add new things each year, but make sure the vast majority is stuff you love.

Do a lot of reading and researching find a plan that speaks to you and your location. The way gardening is done in Maine won't help you in our h^llish summer heat / drought.

Some people on here have extremely neat and tidy gardens, not a weed in sight, plantings that I swear they did w/ a ruler and level, quite impressive really!, Others, like me look like thier's was planted by someone "off their meds", and everything in between. My point is find a way that works for you. Isolate your problems, look for fixes that will help you, think outside the box, repeat your successes. Gardening is a journey not a destination

Last edited:

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh an almost forgot, don't put an Okie garden in "full sun" I do not care what the packet says, they do not mean Oklahoma "full sun"

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
How-dee, Kelly! Glad that you have found TheEasyGarden. This is the best site for everything garden with the best people to help and learn with.

You sound like you intend having a lot on your plate. Good for you and your DH! Gardening is a way to grow closer as well as a good way to involve at risk students in healthy, non-threatening habits.

Anything we can do to help as you get started? Just ask! How much land do you have to work with? That can certainly be a factor in how you choose to garden. Ridgerunner started you out with some good advice.

Latest posts