wcatlover

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Welcome to TEG CCRabbett's...enjoy and have fun

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi there!
I am pretty new to gardening so I need some help.
I live in Ojai, Ca in zone 9b. I feel like Ojai's climate is not very conducive to a happy garden. Our summers are hot (exceeding 89 degrees) and dry and our winters are cold and colder (<45degrees). To top all that off our soil is clay!
I need help with:
-veggie and fruit gardens
-good privacy plants that grow quickly
-grass, is it a possibility for me?!
I generally need help, my yard is a huge plot of rock hard clay dirt right now and I want it beautiful by mid-summer.
Thanks!
Oh, my precious new friend, @CCRabbetts! Thank you for the evening chuckle. Imagining your temperatures and mentally comparing them to mine. However, we each have our own climate and soil challenges and I'll not argue that yours can be difficult to work with. I know there are gardening friends here that have or had conditions like yours and I know you can grow a successful garden anywhere with enough effort and ingenuity.

Welcome to TEG, the best-est garden site on the internet. I hope you will quickly feel right at home with us. I hope your camera works, because some of our favorite things are pictures, pictures, and more pictures. Good luck and I'm glad to have you growing with us.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm in Gold Country, north of Yosemite. It gets to 100 alot here, and 40's in the winter. I had to go with raised beds in the last home and now in this tiny space, again raised bed planters. The pic is from our 7 acres in Murphys. I brought in a truck load of turkey compost from Diestel Turkey farms. It was WONDERFUL!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
murphysranch, you refer to 7 acres as your "tiny" space? Diestel turkey is the best! I always buy it at the Big Trees Market. How did you go about getting that compost from them?

Mary

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, our tiny place is now in Angels. Back then, I contracted with a paving company who was doing our driveway in Murphys when we were building our monstrosity, to bring me a transfer truck's worth from Diestel. They dumped it on the property and I slowly over 2 years got it moved around. It really lightened up the heavy clay.