Newbie here

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carrots are an interesting. They never taste as sweet as the ones we buy in grocery store. I use hybrid carrots that are suppose to have elevated sugar.

Oh yes, welcome to group.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from the Tyler, Texas area. I lived most of my life in southeast Texas. Have lived in Longview twice, now after 30 plus years, I’m back up here. Don’t feel bad about carrots, they elude me also. You can grow most anything in south Texas. The Rio Grande Valley is sub tropical, south Texas has a great winter growing season. Would love to hear more about your farm.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
hello and welcome to TEG from mid-Michigan. :)

i'm not a carrot expert. i suspect it might be a bit late down there for starting them unless you just want some tiny ones for quick eating. soil moisture levels are critical for getting good germination. what type of garden soil do you have and what have you tried?

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Yes you can grow carrots ~ prepare some nice soil (about 6 or 8" of nice soil) in a spot not subject to great wind that will blow the soil away ~ plant the seeds ~ I'd say 1/2" deep ~ the seed packet might say 1/4" but ~ keep it damp, don't let the top layer dry out use plenty of compost so it stays damp and warm ~ do this when the weather there is no longer frosting ~ they have to sprout ~ plant them in a bed next to your radishes ~ and welcome ```

Latest posts