digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL.. tin foil ...
I knew that this was somewhere and for some reason ;).

zhat.png

akroberts

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
@akroberts , I just ordered a set of 3 blueberries from Stark Bros.
Should be shipped next week, dormant.
Any special advice?
Thx
Sorry but this is my first time having blueberry plants. You can check with a local farm supply or home improvement store and see if they have any useful info. Maybe a garden center.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am getting back into chickens this year. I lost 2 flocks to a weasel, but now, a friend has a farmette south of me and has been battling the weasels and minks trying to kill Their chickens, so I am ready to put hardware cloth on the 2 windows, and sand down and repaint the door, which I cannot close right now.
I figure if I close the flock in every night they should be safe enough.
My 12' x 30' run in dog chain link fencing with poultry netting EVERYTHING ELSE that loves chicken cannot reach them when turned out.
We have a farm supply chain store that sells baby chicks 12 months/year.
I am going to start with 6 cornish cross and 6 auracanas or WHATEVER--not Rhode Island Red--they are vicious!
I will add in a handful of roosters, some breed like Buff Orpington.
I have ALSO raised vicious roosters. I wanted to sell them at auction, and one of my dogs had a great time in the coop grabbing each one by his tail feathers and pulling them out for me.
I am pretty familiar with chicken breeds. Right now they are going for $2.99/each, and often, once they start getting their wing feathers, RK will discount them.
I plan to butcher the cornish cross at a few months old and fill the freezer, and raise the dual breed.
My coop is made for 15 chickens, meaning Really 12 adult birds
It has a burdock problem right now, but DH said he'll keep me company as I clean it out.

akroberts

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I know I will have to add more fencing and build a bigger coop for them but I don't care. I'm wanting more chicks to sell eggs. As for the 2 hens I have now they're RIR'S and I couldn't believe that they were so good. They're not aggressive in any way. The RIR rooster my daughter had, was a little jerk. He tried attacking me and my grandkids. I would like to get a rooster but I am good without one.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know I will have to add more fencing and build a bigger coop for them but I don't care. I'm wanting more chicks to sell eggs. As for the 2 hens I have now they're RIR'S and I couldn't believe that they were so good. They're not aggressive in any way. The RIR rooster my daughter had, was a little jerk. He tried attacking me and my grandkids. I would like to get a rooster but I am good without one.
Selling eggs might be a good thing. We currently pay $11.00 per dozen for the organic eggs! When we lived in N.Dakota 45 years ago we had a hard time getting $.50 a dozen and typically would take 14-15 dozen a week to the senior center. They became our hard, fast friends!

Latest posts